chapter 18

"I was starting to think you left me." Adrien grinned down at Y/N as she approached her locker. The blonde boy was leaning against it nonchalantly with his phone in hand.

"Oh let me help you."

Y/N thanked him as he took the heavy books from her arms. She twisted her lock, putting the code in and when it opened she took the books from Adrien's arms with another thank you.

She put them in her bag and zipped it up, "ready to go?" She asked with a bright smile on her face.

Adrien nodded his head and matched Y/N's pace. They walked outside of the school and were met with a slightly warm breeze. It was still rather nice outside although the summer months were almost over.

"Tell me about yourself." Y/N randomly blurted out. She glanced over at Adrien who raised an eyebrow at her, "I'm sure if you picked up one of those magazines you'd have all the answers." Adrien pointed towards a shop window across from them. It had magazines of models and Adrien was on one of the covers.

Y/N tried not to stare so long as she looked at the picture, but she couldn't help herself. Adrien was sitting down on a black leather seat, with a  white collared shirt, and one of his hands was pulling down the front of the shirt, exposing his chest.

God he looked so hot.

Y/N shook her head, although it would be nice to get her hands on one of those magazines, she wanted to know the real Adrien. Not the Adrien that has an image to upkeep.

Before she was about to speak, Adrien let out a laugh. He had caught her staring at the magazine.

"What's so funny?"

"Nothing." He was still smiling.

"Adrien." Y/N tried to hide her own smile but she couldn't, "what's so funny?"

"If you want that magazine so badly, I have many spare copies that I could part with."

Y/N's face burned crimson, "I don't want it that badly." She mumbled.

Adrien just chuckled and put his hands in his pockets.

"I want to know about you. Not the person you pretend to be."

"Pretend?"

Y/N looked up at Adrien and rolled her eyes, "you know what I mean." She let out a sigh and averted her gaze to the ground she kicked a stray rock, "I just want to know the real you."

Adrien was silent for a moment, and as they approached the quaint bakery Y/N was leading them to, he drew in a breath.

He held open the door for Y/N and they were greeted by the owners, "Adrien! How have you been?" A shorter girl with blueberry coloured hair warmly greeted. She stepped out from behind the counter and approached the pair.

Adrien smiled, "I've been good, how are you?"

"Good good, oh and you must be his girlfriend! I remember you coming in earlier this month."

Adrien and Y/N both blushed and turned away from each other, "no we aren't-"

"Tom! Adrien's here!"

Y/N sweat dropped as a taller, broader man came out from the behind the counter.

"Adrien, how are things?"

Adrien was about to respond, but he was cut off by Tom's eyes landing on Y/N. "Who's this?"

"This is Y/N she's a very close friend of mine."

Adrien looked over at Y/N and winked at her as he emphasized the very.

Y/N's face burned crimson and she nervously brushed a few strands of hair behind her ear.

"It's nice to meet you Y/N."

"It's nice to meet you as well, your desserts are delicious."

Tom smiled and look over at his wife who also had a kind expression on her face, "that's very kind of you to say, thank you."

Y/N nodded her head and Adrien motioned her to walk up to the dessert display. They both took a few moments to look but Y/N already knew what she wanted.

"One Strawberry shortcake please."

"You must like that cake." Adrien grinned, pulling out his wallet.

Y/N smiled, "I do."

Adrien put in his order, just a plain croissant.

Y/N pulled out her own card but Adrien stopped her. "Don't even think about."

Y/N shook her head, "I asked you here, it's only fair!"

Adrien didn't listen to her protests, instead he just handed Sabine his card and Y/N frowned at him.

"Thank you." Y/N said to both Adrien and the couple behind the counter.

Adrien did the same and they took their desserts before sitting down.

Y/N's eyes immediately lit up when she saw her dessert sitting perfectly in front of her, waiting to be enjoyed. She picked up the plastic fork from beside her and slid it through the side of the cake.

She lifted the fork up and ate the cake with a smile. It was heavenly. Exactly what she needed at that moment.

Y/N glanced upwards for a brief moment, expecting Adrien to be enjoying his own dessert.

To her surprise he was looking at her.

Adrien was leaning back in his chair with his arms crossed. He was staring at Y/N with a curious look on his face.

Before she could even say anything he began speaking, "you really want to know about me?"

Y/N was speechless for a moment, and she hesitantly nodded her head. "I do want to know."

Adrien inhaled sharply and uncrossed his arms. He sat up straight, "my mom died when I started high school."

Y/N frowned. She had known his mother died, but hearing it come from him just made the words become heavier.

Adrien's hands were laying limp on the table, and Y/N put one of hers on top of his. "I'm really sorry Adrien."

The blonde boy looked up at her glossy eyes. He shifted in his seat and it was obvious he was forcing a smile, "it's been 3 years since then. I'm okay."

Y/N knew he was lying, "it's okay to not be okay. No matter how long ago it happened, you are allowed mourn."

Adrien locked eyes with her, and the expression on his face suggested that he had never been told something like that before.

Adrien nodded his head and looked away. Y/N gripped his hand tighter and he looked up.

"Thank you."

Y/N smiled, "anytime. Now, tell me more about yourself."