chapter 32- Adriens POV

This was strange.

Adrien never really had trouble sleeping before. He usually found that sleep was an escape from his own mind.

When things got tough at home, he would sleep it off. It was his own way of coping. And he found that it always worked.

Yet, he's wide awake, holding on tightly to the girl asleep on his chest. Her warm breath occasionally brushes against his skin and he holds her tighter. Her soft hair is spewed around Adrien's biceps and he lifted one hand to play with a few strands.

She's the one with insomnia, but now the roles had reversed.

A part of Adrien wished he could have told her what was wrong before she fell asleep, but he knew it would only worry her. This trip was supposed to be an escape for the two of them. It wasn't supposed to start of shitty.

Adrien sighed and glanced over at his nightstand. His clock read, "3:51" in bright red numbers. He had to be up soon for the photoshoot.

With a low groan, Adrien gently tried moving Y/N.

He didn't want to wake her because he knew that she has trouble sleeping. He moved her off of him carefully. Her head fell back onto the pillow and he stood up from the bed, making his way to the large window.

The moon cascaded the city, covering its busy streets in a dark haze. It was sights like these which made Adrien miss going out as Chat noir.

He especially missed the freedom it gave him. He became someone who he always dreamt of being.

Over time, however, the personality he put on as Char noir blended with the one he uses everyday.

He was sure no one had really noticed. Because people only ever payed attention to his physical attributes anyway.

Adrien looked back at the sleeping girl in his bed. She was curled up in his thick black sheets.

Well, everyone but her.

He drew in a deep breath and dragged a hand through his hair. Stress itched it's way up into his chest where it settled and Adrien frowned.

It was funny how encounters with people could ruin your entire mood. He tried to fight it off but he just couldn't. This has always happened after conversations with his father.

He couldn't remember a single time after his mother died when his father was actually there for him.

He bombarded him with expectations and when Adrien didn't mean them, he didn't speak with him at all.

Deep down inside Adrien knew his father was hurting. Of course he was. The love of his life passed away.

But that didn't mean he had the right to shut out the only one left.

"Adrien?" Y/N's groggy voice woke Adrien out from his trance. He spun around and stared at the girl who was now sitting up, rubbing her eyes. She glanced over at the clock and yawned, "what are you doing up this late?"

Adrien dragged a hand down his face, feeling guilty for waking her up.

He slowly walked towards the edge of the bed and sat down. His weight made the bed dip slightly. 

Y/N brought a hand up to his back. She rubbed it in circles and shifted close to him, "what's wrong?" She was slowly starting to fully wake up. 

"Its nothing, go back to sleep."

Y/N dropped her head forward onto his back and sighed. His bare skin was flush against her forehead. "It doesn't seem like its nothing Adrien."

She soothed her hand over his skin again and waited for his response. She knew it was best not to push matters. However, this issue seemed to be troubling Adrien to the point where he doesn't seem like his usual self.

"You know you can always talk to me.." Y/N trailed off, getting off the bed and kneeling in front of the blonde boy. He wore a despondent expression and barely met Y/N's eyes. 

He knew he had to tell her. She cared for him and he always recognized that. But Adrien was always so used to carrying his issues on his own. He was used to suppressing his emotions and never relying on others to take the weight off his shoulders.

But it was draining him slowly. 

Adrien opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. He tried to muster up the courage to let out a sound. A word. A sentence. But nothing came out.

Y/N put her hand on his leg, and for some reason, she understood. 

"Its okay. You don't have to say anything." She stood up and brought his body forward, into a hug. He clutched the white cotton shirt that hung loosely around her body. His hand slid up to her neck and he pulled her in closer and tighter. He was hugging her like he was afraid she would disappear if he let go.

They stayed like that for a while until Adrien began to get drowsy. Y/N pulled the covers over his body when his head hit the pillow behind him. She brushed away his blonde hair from his eyes and sat watching his steady breaths.

She felt bad for not realizing sooner that he really was having a tough time at home. She made a mental note to herself to cheer him up tomorrow.

She hated seeing him sad. It broke something inside of her.

She glanced down at Adrien once more before going to lay down beside him. 

But as she was getting up, she saw a single tear spill from his shut eyes.