chapter 19

"I like cats."

Y/N laughed, "who doesn't?"

"But I'm not a fan of dogs." Y/N's face went blank and she shook her head. "You can't be serious."

"Oh I'm very serious." Adrien leaned forward onto his palm. Y/N twisted her expression into disgust, "I don't know if I can continue this conversation now knowing that information."

"They are scary little demons."

Y/N laughed, "little demons? Oh you've got to be kidding me!"

Adrien let a little smile slip from the side of his mouth as he watched the girl before him.

"What? It's true! Have you seen how sharp their teeth are?"

Y/N contained herself, "yes I have."

"So you should know how scary they are!"

Y/N sighed and grinned, "who would've thought Adrien Agreste is a big scaredy-cat."

Adrien ran a hand through his silky hair, "and you aren't afraid of anything?"

Y/N shook her head.

"I don't believe that." Adrien locked his eyes in hers, and they just stared at each other for a moment. Adrien smirked, "well?"

Y/N shrugged her shoulders with a playful smile plastered on her face.

Truthfully, she was only afraid of one thing but it was stupid to say.

"Come on, there has to be at-least one thing. Everyone has something they fear."

Y/N let her facade falter and she sighed, "promise to not laugh?"

Adrien winced and snuck a quick glance at her, "I can't make that promise."

"Then I guess you'll never know the truth."

The bells in the store jingled, indicating that someone had entered. Adrien and Y/N made no move to look at who walked in, they just continued to look at each other.

"Oh alright... I promise I won't laugh."

Y/N raised an eyebrow and Adrien made a little cross over his heart.

She smiled and tucked her chair in closer to the table.

"I'm afraid of the dark..."

Adrien didn't laugh. His face did not contort into any expression. Instead, he just cocked his head slightly to the side. "But you sit on your balcony at night, are you not afraid then?"

Y/N's heart sunk to her stomach and she furrowed her eyebrows, "how did you know I go up to my balcony at night?"

Adrien nervously chuckled and he averted his eyes to his empty plate, "I was walking one night- and I saw you up there. I was going to ask you about it actually..."

Y/N frowned. He was lying. It was clearer than a summers day.

"Really? What were you doing walking by my house?"

Adrien's eyebrows knit together, it looked as if he was searching through his brain to find a logical excuse. Y/N knew that's exactly what he was doing, but why?

Why was he lying to her? Sure they aren't that close of friends, but they were still friends.

Maybe what he was lying about had to do with the ring correlation between him and Chat noir.

"Adrien." Y/N's voice was stern.

"Hm?"

She had his attention. She could just ask him about it now. Y/N's mouth became dry and she no longer had the questions she wanted to ask.

"I um, I have to get back home soon."

Adrien frowned. Not a frown you give someone when you are trying to seem upset. It was genuine.

"Y/N-" Adrien began but was cut off as the girl who sat in front of him began standing up. She picked up her school bag and gently swung it across her shoulders, securing it onto her back.

"Thank you for this, it was fun."

"Y/N-" Adrien started again, but the she began to walk away, the bells on the bakery door jingled as she stepped outside.

Y/N didn't look back. She continued walking with a feeling of dissatisfaction settling in her stomach. She tried to get to know Adrien, but she knew deep down inside that the only two people she enjoyed talking to; were lying to her.

First Chat noir, and now Adrien.

Y/N just couldn't understand why. She couldn't understand the reason for their lies.

Y/N could hear fast footsteps behind her but she made no move to turn around and acknowledge them. She bit her bottom lip as Adrien's voice called to her.

"Y/N. Please, stop."

She stopped but didn't turn around. She couldn't hide the frown that itched it's way up her face. "You're confusing me Adrien."

"You're confusing me so much. You- you almost kissed me at your party... and now this?" Y/N's voice was laced with confusion and frustration.

Adrien brought a hand up to his face and he deeply sighed, pushing away a few strands of blonde hair out of his line of sight.

He stepped closer to Y/N and his voice was a mere whisper, "turn around."

"Why? So you can lie to me some more?"

"I'm sorry for lying, but you have to understand-"

"Understand what?" Y/N was annoyed at this point and she spun around.

"I don't want to lie."

"Then why do it?"

Adrien's eyes glossed over and his eyes finally landed on Y/N. "I have to."

Y/N scoffed, "no you don't."

"I do Y/N because..."

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Three beeps came from Adrien's phone.

He didn't even look at who it was. Instead he kept his eyes on Y/N.

"I'm sorry, I have to go- can we please talk about this later?"

Y/N slowly nodded her head and watched as Adrien turned the other way. Their argument was over in the blink of an eye. She didn't even get to say what she truly wanted to say.

Y/N watched with heavy eyes as he faded from view. She glanced up at the balcony's that were on almost every home. A few people stood on one, chatting. It reminded Y/N of her and Chat noir.  It reminded her of the kiss they shared.

But it also reminded her of how he was keeping a secret.

Y/N clenched her jaw and looked back once more in the direction Adrien came from.

She hated that she liked him just as much as she liked Chat noir.