Chapter 7 Haulia's Training

No one's POV

Hajime: For these 10 days until we reach the Great Tree... We will teach you all to fight.

After leaving Verbergen, Hajime and Sora and the others had set up a temporary base near the outskirts of the Grand Tree. Sora had pulled out a stone house that he had built for the Haulia's and for themselves.

 Sora had pulled out a stone house that he had built for the Haulia's and for themselves

The stone house is already filled with everything. Foods, kitchen, living room, bedrooms, and even bathrooms. Most of the rabbitmen stared blankly at Hajime. They were sitting down on stumps and boulders, taking a short break.

Shea: U-Umm, Hajime-san. By teaching us how to fight, do you mean...

Shea asked hesitantly, voicing the question her entire tribe had.

Sora: He mean exactly that. We're stuck here for the next ten days anyway, right? Might as well do something useful in that time, don't you think? It's high time you rabbits learned how to hold your own in a fight.

Shea: Wh-Why do we have to...

Shea's question had been a natural reaction to the sudden nature of Sora's declaration. Everyone's rabbit ears trembled as both Sora and Hajime glared at them menacingly.

Hajime: Why? Why'd you think to even ask such a stupid question, you worthless rabbit?

Shea: Aww you're still not calling me by my name...

Sora: Listen up, we promised to protect you until you finished guiding us to the Grand Tree. But have you guys given any thought to what'll happen once that's done?

The Haulia all exchanged glances and shook their heads hesitantly. Cam even had a worried expression on his face. Though they had this nagging worry at the back of their minds, the sequence of insane events they'd been thrown into one after another had forced that worry away. Or maybe they just hadn't considered it at all, who really knew.

Sora: Just as I thought, you haven't thought about it at all. Though even if you had, it's not like you'd have an answer for me. You guys are weak. First sign of danger and your only thought is to run. And now you don't even have the sanctuary of Verbergen to protect you. So basically, you guys are screwed as soon as we're gone.

Haulias:......

Glum expressions settled on the Haulia's faces when they realized Sora's words hit the mark. They'd been rocked by his stunning statement.

Sora: You have nowhere to run to, nowhere to hide, and soon you'll have no one to protect you. But monsters and humans won't stop attacking you out of pity, you know? At this rate you're all doomed to die eventually. Are you all really okay with that? Being killed off just because you're weak, I mean. You guys were lucky to survive this long and now you're going to throw those lives away? Well?

No one said a word as a grim atmosphere fell over the clearing. Finally, Shea muttered quietly.

Shea: There's... There's no way that's okay!