Chapter 12 Reunion

No one's POV

Running straight through the middle of a vast plain was a road that ran due north. Though it was called a road, it was more a path that had been paved into a highway by centuries of footfalls. As the carriages of this world didn't have any suspensions, travelers often found themselves nursing sore bottoms by the end of their trip.

And yet, two silhouette were rushing down this rugged road at a speed unthinkable for how poorly maintained it was. A black frame with two wheels, and three passengers sitting atop of one and two passengers on the other.

Sora, Aishia, Hajime, Yue, and Shea. They were pounding down the uneven road at a speed many times faster than when they had been traveling through Reisen Gorge. They were easily doing eighty kilometers an hour. They were sitting in the same formation as always. Aishia's on Sora's lap, with Shea sitting behind him. Shea's bunny ears were rippling in the wind.

Shea: Haau, it feels great. Aishiaaaaaa. Can we switch spots on the way back?

Aishia: No. This is my spot.

Shea: Come on, don't be stingy. Let's swap. It's pretty nice back here too you know.

It was clear from Shea's relaxed tone that she didn't really care if she got to switch or not. Sora turned around and answered in Aishia's place.

Sora: You know there's no way you'd be able to fit here, right? You'd get in the way of my driving. Those rabbit ears especially. They'd keep flopping around in the wind and hitting my eyes.

Shea: Oh yeah, you're riiiiiight.

Aishia: She actually fell asleep.

It appeared the weather was so pleasant that Shea had dozed off. Her head drooped forward, landing on Sora's shoulder. The rest of her body weight was pressed against his back. She'd already been half-asleep when she'd called out to Aishia.

Sora: Well at this rate I'd say we've got about half a day's travel left. We'll be driving nonstop, so might as well let her rest while she can.

As Sora had said, they were about half a day's ride out from the lakeside village that sat at the foot of the mountain range. If they kept this pace they'd arrive by evening. Hajime's plan was to spend the night in town and begin searching the next morning.

The reason he was in such a rush was because the longer he took, the more likely it was that Will and his party might be dead. Yue looked up at him questioningly. It was unusual for Hajime to take such a vested interest in the life of someone he didn't care about.

Hajime met her inquisitive gaze and smiled wryly at her.

Yue: Why the rush?

Hajime: Well, better we find him alive right? That way Ilwa will feel even more indebted to us. From here on out I'm sure we're going to get into a lot more fights with the Heiligh Kingdom and the Holy Church. So the more allies we have the better. It'd be a pain to have to fight every time we want to go anywhere.

Yue: I see.

That being said, Hajime wasn't sure how useful Ilwa would prove as an ally. In fact, he thought it was more likely Ilwa wouldn't be of much help at all. But it never hurt to have extra assistance. Especially considering how little effort it would take to recruit Ilwa to their cause.

Hajime: Oh yeah, I heard the village we're going to sits next to a lake, so they have a lot of water available. Apparently thanks to that they've become the largest cultivator of rice on the continent.

Yue: Rice?

Sora: Yep, rice. You know, that white grain. That I always made when we were living in the stone house. It's my homeland's staple crop. I'm not sure if the rice here is the same as the one from home, but I want to try it.