48. A past to be grieved.

It was almost sunset time

It was almost sunset time. Ayaka finally got out of her room to get some fresh air from outside the Estate. Thoma was knitting a cloth by the courtyard.

"M'lady! Is there something a problem?" Thoma asks gently.

Ayaka sits beside Thoma.

"I feel-"

"Oh my greetings Lady Ayaka." Izuna came out of no where behind Ayaka.

Ayaka turned around and got up. Thoma also got up.

"Uh, excuse me I'll be leaving to let you both talk." Thoma said as he got away giving Ayaka a good luck glance.

"Greetings Ikoue Izuna." Ayaka said sternly.

"My, It is quite a honor to meet the Shirasagi Himegami in person."

Ayaka forced a smile on her face.

"It is also indeed....a honor to meet you." Ayaka's voice trailed off.

"Oh? I'm sorry I wasn't able to hear you....Huh strange, who thought the Shirasagi Himegami wasn't capable of speaking."

"My apologies, but I suggest you hold your tongue." Ayaka said back.

"Why must I? My, My Ayaka, the fame you have...I've been quite envious of it." Izuna said as she crossed her arms and stood.

"Ikoue Izuna. Kindly do not cross your-"

"My goodness, What have I run into~" A sly voice was heard.

Both the women who were arguing had turned their heads towards the pink-haired Fox envoy, Yae Miko. She was followed by Ayato.

"Guuji Yae! It was Lady Ayaka! S-She was t-teasing me!" Izuna pretended.

"Teased you? Why would I-"

"Ayaka, stop this at once! Why are you treating Lady Izuna with disrespect?" Ayato raised his voice at Ayaka.

"Don't be so feisty Ayato. Shouting at poor Ayaka without realizing the problem, how foolish of you." Yae Miko said as she stared at Izuna.

Ayaka was heart broken. Tears were starting to form in her eyes yet she retained them. Yae Miko took a close notice of it.

"Ayaka my dear, shall we head to your room and speak things out?" Yae Miko asked.

Ayaka nodded her head and walked beside her brother without even taking a glance at his eyes. The once so close siblings, now apart. Ayato had broken a promise he once made to his parents.

He asked Izuna to get back to her room.

He now stood in guilt.

Past:

"Ayato....no matter what happens from now on......please take care of your sister....She'll be the everything for you....your key to everything..."  Was the final words his father had told him.

Little Ayaka tugged onto Ayato's clothes tightly as she was crying after realizing their father wouldn't live much longer.

Their mother was seated in a corner, wiping her tears.

"I promise you father." Ayato said as he held his father's weak palms.

Two days passed. Ayato was training with his friend Thoma. A soldier runs towards Ayato.

"Master Ayato! M-M'lord-"

"What's the matter? What happened to him."

"H-He's no more."

Ayato's eyes widen upon hearing that. He dropped his blade and ran towards the Estate.

He barged and entered into each and every single room. Upon entering his Father's room, he only saw his mother crying along with Ayaka in her arms, crying too.

He couldn't believe the sight. His father laid lifeless on his bed. Ayato quickly went towards him and sat on his knees holding his father's palms, crying.

After the funeral service, His mother was to take all the duties of his father, Until he was prepared enough.

Ayaka was just a small child. She had no idea of how the world worked.

Days along with Months had passed, Their Mother too had begun showing illness.

Day-by-Day her health deteriorated. Ayato knew that she too would meet the same fate as his father did. 

He prepared himself for the worst case scenario, yet he knew all of this would've been too much for his younger sister, Ayaka.

Ayato sat in the edge of the wooden tile as he watched his younger sister play with a ball, throwing it around and enjoying herself.

"Ayaka, come here." Ayato said as he made an action to sit beside him.

"Okay brother!" the energetic Ayaka ran and sat beside him. As she sat beside him, she dangled her legs in the air.

Ayato couldn't help but chuckle at the actions of his adorable younger sister.

"Hey Ayaka, Brother has...a question for you."

"Mhm?"

"What would Ayaka do if....Somebody tried to hurt you?"

"I uh-....I have my brother! I'm sure he'll come and rescue me!"

Ayato was shocked at Ayaka's response. He patted her hair and smiled.

A couple days passed and their mother's condition only seemed to get worse each moment. Ayaka this time was only told that her mother had caught a small flu, nothing much.

While Ayaka was playing with Thoma, Ayato had went and visited his mother.

"Mother."

"A-Ayato..." Her voice was very weak.

Ayato's heart felt heavy. He held his mother's hand tightly.

"A-Ayato...can you promise me a thing...?"

"Yes mother. I will try my best to keep it."

"C-Can you promise me that.....*coughs* you'll always make Ayaka smile even when I'm not here....can you make sure...she never has to shed a tear?"

"I will mother.

His mother smiled widely at him.

"Cherish your moments with those you love.....don't let them go by. Never hurt a feeling of someone who's close to you, Ayato. I hope you can find somebody....*coughs* whom you can forever love and stay by with." His mother said.

Today Ayato stands having flashbacks of what he had once promised to his mother and father. He had not only failed to complete their promises but he had hurt the two people he had loved the most.

A single petal of Sakura was seen flying towards him. He grabbed it with his palms and closed it.

"Sorry....." He muttered.

﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌
END

A/N: 199K READS RN... OH MY GOD <3

Hope you enjoyed this little chapter