58. Guilty

Ayaka was seen to walk back and forth with her fan in her hand at the courtyard

Ayaka was seen to walk back and forth with her fan in her hand at the courtyard. Almost as if she was nervous.

"Thoma, has brother returned yet?"

"Not yet M'lady." Thoma stood there watching Ayaka walk back and forth.

"M'lady, if it isn't rude of me to ask, could I ask what happened?"

"It's about the Ikoue Household. They are up to something ruinous. I want to let brother take a decision."

"I see m'lady....but M'lord won't be returning home this early.."

"Lady Ayaka." Hisashi came out of no where.

"Did you find anything about brother?"  Ayaka asked him.

"No M'lady. He was at he docks at Ritou today morning to send Kaedehara Kazuha off then headed towards Inazuma city."

"Please continue the search." Ayaka said as Hisashi disappeared once more.

"M'lady you should go eat something first...I don't want you to end up fatigued." Thoma pleaded to Ayaka.

"Thank you for your concern Thoma....I'll eat it after a couple more minutes of waiting."

Thoma sighed and went back inside.

Ayaka was looking at the photo of Y/n, which was left by Izuna and lord Ikoue at Chinju Forest.

"I won't let them hurt you."

Earlier today, Ayaka ran quickly up to the Kamisato Estate. It wasn't very elegant of her to do, but she had to report the matter to Ayato quickly. Upon realizing Ayato wasn't at the Estate since early morning, Ayaka had no choice but to dispense half of the Shuumatsuban to search for him.

An entire night passed.

Ayato woke up upon hearing the chirping birds. The golden rays of sunlight was seeping through the curtains, onto his eyes as he opened them slowly. He realized that he had passed out from all that sudden happiness and release of stress.

He felt happy about the fact he and Y/n had finally come to terms.

He got up and sat upright on the bed. He ran his fingers through his hair as he gazed outside the window. He was amused by the sight of the city early morning, as he was more accustomed to seeing a serene forest, the first thing in the morning.

"What a sight." He remarked.

He turned around from looking at the window to see Y/n asleep on the futon. She seemed like she was in a deep sleep, so Ayato got up making no noise.

He walked past her, took his coat from the chair and was about to leave until Y/n spoke.

"Leaving without even telling a thank you, Mr.Commissioner?"

"Oh, so you were awake the entire time?" He immediately questioned as he turned his gaze from facing the door to facing Y/n who was on the floor.

"I'm a light sleeper."

"Right. I thought you would've changed."

"I slept well for nine months." Y/n replied sarcastically.

"You didn't have to bring that up-" Right as Ayato was about to finish his sentence, Y/n cut him off.

"Anyway, you plan on just straight up walking out of my house?"

"Yes, I do."

"Oh Archons, Do I have to remind you we're in a city. People will go assuming things."

"Well I would say that I slept with you, except you slept on a futon and I slept on the bed." He replied with a smirk.

"How shameless can you get. Entire Inazuma will come after me.Especially Ikoue Izuna! " Y/n spoke as she pushed away the blankets and sat upright.

He chuckled.

"Ikoue Izuna is nothing to me." He said as he started walking out towards the door.

Y/n quickly got up from her futon and went down along with him.

"Well, thank you Y/n. Thank you for forgiving me and letting me stay over."

"Use the back door. It'll lead towards the back of the city where much people don't hang out."

Ayato took one last glance back at Y/n and asked;

"Do you really forgive me?"

"Maybe. Like I said I had a condition to this Ayato."

"What is it." He asked as he turned around.

"We are to remain only as friends. Nothing more or less than that. I-....I'm not ready for another heart break....I don't think I'll make it out this time."

Ayato's face turned pale. Even despite him trying to tell her that his heart only belonged to her, she didn't trust him completely. Well, wasn't it his fault.

"Ayaka maybe was right...I really didn't know how she felt..." He thought.

Though a part of him was completely shattered upon hearing that, he knew it was only his fault.

His fault that he never listened to his sister.

His fault that he never understood how Y/n felt.

"I...-I see how it is then....I'll respect your decision. " Ayato replied, forcing a smile on his face.

"Thank you then."

"Y/n....Coming weekends is my twenty-fourth birthday. As per customs I'm usually asked to celebrate with other noble families, But this time I'd rather want to spend it with closer circles. If you can, please visit the Kamisato Estate." Ayato said as he opened the door.

"I will." Y/n replied.

He smiled and left with a broken heart. Y/n on the other hand too had a conflicted mind.

She knew that he was trying to fix things between them, Yet she wasn't ready to fall once more in love.

﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌
END

A/n: I may have taken a day or two just to write this, because past few days I've been having a burnout from doing everything I possibly do in my freetime

Also I'll be going on a semi-Hiatus from 21st of May till 1st of June because I'm going on a vacation. I won't update the book but I'll be reading comments and be active on Discord!! So expect a lot of chapters this week >:D

Thank you for the 280k+ reads and 12K votes!! <3