Three

Three
🌸Everlee🌸

Blaze has refused to leave my side for the past hour. As I'm cooking us dinner, he stands by the entrance of the kitchen like he is still on the job. He's standing up straight, his eyes high with alert as he observes the surrounding space.

I told him a while ago he could relax and that he should sit down, but he shook his head at me and continued with his job.

I don't have a good feeling. Not necessarily about Blaze, but about where he's come from. There's no missing the scars that hide under some tattoos on his arms. I can see the raised skin from a mile off. Maybe he was in the military and that's the reason for his behaviour. The answers could be endless.

Finally, I dish up our dinner and place the two plates on the dining table. I take a seat and look up to see Blaze hovering over his plate with questionable eyes.

"Blaze." His eyes shoot to me instantly and I sigh gently, nodding to his chair and plate of food. "Please sit down and eat." Blaze hesitates for a few seconds, almost looking pained by the simple instructions. But he eventually pulls the chair out and takes a seat. I hold back my smile at how awkward he looks as he picks up the fork and observes the pasta I've made.

"I promise, it's not poisoned." As he stares at the food, he pushes it around with his fork, and I laugh. I don't know if I should be offended or not at the fact he still hasn't taken a bite and is looking at it like it's the most disgusting meal he's ever seen. "You don't have to eat if you don't want to. I'm sorry, I should have checked to see what foods you like." I look down at my plate, my face heating in embarrassment.

A light tapping noise on the table has my breath hitching, and when I look up, I notice that it's Blaze tapping his finger on the wooden dining table, trying to get my attention. To my shock, he gives me the most beautiful smile I've ever seen from a man. It's brief, but I saw it. Question is, why does it have my heart spinning?

I give Blaze a gentle smile in return and watch as he eats his meal. We both finish our food in a comfortable silence. When I get up to take the plates to the kitchen, I'm left shocked again when Blaze suddenly grabs a hold of my hand once I've placed the plates down onto the marble counter. His large hand encases my own, and he places the palm against his chest.

My eyes fall to my hand, which rests firmly against his hard chest, and my eyebrows crease at the slow pace of his heartbeat. But before I can assess further, he lets go, and my hand drops. It's only now I realise from the look on his face, that's his way of saying thank you.

"It's okay." I nod and turn my back to him and wash the dishes. His presence is almost burning my skin and compared to his scarily slow heart rate, mine is racing a hundred miles an hour.

As soon as I've finished washing up, I look at the time to see it's late.

"I'm going to bed now, Blaze," I inform him, and he gives a curt nod. He's in his usual stance, his hands clasped behind his straightened back. His muscles bulging out of the black t-shirt he's wearing. "I-Erm... I need to leave the house at eight tomorrow morning, just to let you know." And then I'm scurrying down the corridor and into my room.

I exhale with a quick breath and rest my head against the door. Moments later, I hear footsteps and then the click of the door across from mine.

The following morning, Blaze and I are walking toward my car. But as I go to open the door to the driver's side, Blaze stops me and shakes his head, taking the keys out of my hands.

"What?" I tilt my head, looking up at him with questioning eyes. "Don't tell me I'm not allowed to drive now!" I throw my hands up in frustration. Blaze purses his lips and leads me round to the passenger side. I can't ignore his warm hand that rests gently on my lower back. He opens the door and I slide in with a frustrated huff.