Twelve

Twelve
🌸Everlee🌸

"So I'm thinking we could make this necklace seven hundred and fifty, seeing as there is quite a bit of gold and we can't forget the diamonds. It would be silly to make it any cheaper. I mean, this is quite a cheap price."

Blaze has been ignoring me all day. When I smile at him, he doesn't return the gesture with his own smile. His smile that is now one of my favourite things about him. Instead, he stands as still as a rod, with his back against the wall as he surveils the area. Even last night, he went into his own room! His room! I thought after the kiss we shared on the plane, things would be different between us, but now I feel as though we are going backwards.

"Everlee?"

It's just like how it was in the very beginning. No words, just slight gestures to tell me yes or no. There's a dull ache in my chest when rejection invades my body. I should have known not to get attached so easily, but with Blaze, it's very hard not to.

"Everlee?"

All I want to know is why he's suddenly ignoring me!

"Oi! Why aren't you listening to me, babe?" Lottie's clicking fingers cause me to blink, and I look at my best friend with furrowed eyebrows. Can she not see I'm about to go through a crisis?! Her own eyebrows are furrowed, a look of concern etched onto her pretty face. Her green eyes alternate between my own until they fall on the figure behind me. A look of realisation tells me she knows that I'm overthinking about my bodyguard.

"Well, you're not the only one who is being suddenly ignored." She mumbles, and my eyes widen. I spot Cairo stationed across the room from Blaze. He's also avoiding eye contact in our direction, deciding to keep his focus on the surrounded area. "I'm assuming they have to be more careful now. We're basically in a public space, not the safe walls of our houses back home. Plus, look at the amount of extra security and cameras."

My eyes follow the cameras in the corners, one catching my eye. It's pointed in our direction, the red light flashing.

"I know that look on your face. You don't have a good feeling about something." I shake my head at her words, but plaster on a smile.

"Let's not jump to conclusions." I throw her a tight smile and pick up one portfolio that has information on our new stock. "Seven-fifty is too cheap. Especially for the quality." I point out, and Lottie grins.

"I was just testing you. You're right, seven-fifty is way too cheap. Let's double it." This time I grin.

"That's more like it." Our clientele wants nothing but the best, and that's what they get. They don't care about the multiple figures on the price tag, or how much a certain item will break the bank. They simply want to look like luxury on a plate.

For the next couple of hours, Lottie and I continue to set up meetings for the next two weeks. By the end of the day, we are so tired that my poor best friend is now dribbling on a bunch of papers. Standing up, I prepare to pull her from her slumber, but Cairo is one step ahead and gathers her into his arms. My heart nearly bursts at the sweet smile he sends her way.

"I'll take her to her room." He tells me, and I nod, watching him turn to make his way upstairs.
It's nearly midnight, and the rumble in my belly reminds me it's been a while since I had last eaten.

Now I'm wide awake.

Blaze is still standing in the same position. I genuinely think he has barely moved an inch, which is quite concerning.

He hasn't even gone to pee.

And he still hasn't looked over at me. Not once.

So I tuck in my chair, take a deep breath and walk over to him, my bare feet patter against the cold marble floor. Blaze must sense me making my way over to him because his back has straightened and his jaw is clenched. From this angle, I can admire his beautiful side profile that could make a lot of men envious. His jaw is sharp, and his lips are plump. His straight nose has a slight bump on the bridge, and it makes me wonder what his heritage is.