Forty

Forty
⚡️Blaze⚡️

My blood runs cold at Everlee's words and for a second I wonder if I'm dreaming and she's just uttered some sick joke. But this feels real. Very real.

'You and Dax have a younger sister.'

"What?" I whisper, struggling to process what she has just told me because these days it just seems to be one thing after the other. First I find out I have an older brother and now I'm finding out I have a younger sister. Samuel has targeted my whole bloody family!

"She's been here her whole life, I...Erm...How do I say this? She's your half-sister. I'm sorry Blaze." Why is she apologising? "Your father was killed over twenty years ago, your mother must have been lonely after he died. She was with one of the guards here but he was also killed right after Luna was born."

Luna.

My father is dead.

Samuel told me my parent's were alive!

My fists clench and the back of my eyes sting with tears. Clearly, I haven't lost enough in this world. What's next? I lose Everlee?

I'd rather die than lose her.

"She's been wanting to see you and Dax for so long. You should have seen the way her eyes lit up when I told her I knew you both." I wipe my clammy hands up and down my thighs, my heart racing three hundred miles an hour. "She was scared but you can just tell she's a strong girl."

"To survive this place, Everlee, you have no choice but to be strong." I rasp, my brain hurting from the news. "You said her name is Luna?"

"Yes."

"Where is she?"

Her face falls along with my stomach. "They took her away when all this commotion started to happen. I don't know where she is." Fucking great. "I promised I would protect her."

"We'll find her." My sister. Luna.

"How have you managed to do all this? Especially with all the guards around."

"Remember when I told you I'd run away in this place and it would take them hours to find me?" She nods, and I can't help but grasp hold of her hands and lace our fingers together. "I know this place like the back of my hand, baby. We're getting out of here tonight and this place is going to burn with every sick fuck in it."

My girl frantically nods her head with a smile on her face. "Okay." She whispers and then turns her head to look at the door. "How are we going to get out of here?"

I walk over to the door and break the lock effortlessly. "I suppose Samuel can die knowing he did create some abnormally strong fuckers."

"How-" I chuckle at her speechless state.

"That's how I'm going to snap Samuel's neck." Everlee throws her head back in laughter and I grin liking the fact I've made her laugh because all I've done is made her cry. "C'mere." I walk over to a duffle bag and rummage through it.

"What's in there?" I pull out a small gun and hand it to her.

"You need some sort of weapon. If I can't be there I need to be reassured you have something to protect yourself with." But I will try my hardest to be with her.

A disturbingly large explosion rumbles through the walls and I see Everlee's panic-stricken face. I pause what I'm doing and stand up to tower over her and grasp her face in my rough hands. "It's going to be, okay."

"You promise?" She croaks.

"Cross my heart." I smile.

Her smile falls in an instant when she clutches her head and winces in pain. Dread fills me knowing there's a button in this building that could erase her entire memory of me. I don't want her to forget me, I wouldn't know what to do with myself if that happened. We'd have to start all over again, and this time round she probably won't even want me.