Forty-Three

Forty-Three
🌸Everlee🌸

T/W - miscarriage

The second I step into my office and the eyes of my employees stare into my soul, I want to turn on my heel and run away. As far as they're aware, I've been on a very long trip away. If it wasn't for Lottie standing next to me with her cool, slim hand clutching onto mine, I really wouldn't be standing here right now.

As we walk past everyone, they send smiles my way, welcoming me back, but nothing is welcoming about being here. I simply don't want to be here. I enter my office with Lottie trailing behind my back, she gently closes the door and watches me slump into my office chair. A sympathetic smile forms on her face and she takes the seat in front of me.

My eyes close.

My eyes open and I sit up with a panicked gasp.

Dax is hovering over me with an unsure look on his face, the building behind him up in a dangerous amount of flames. It all comes back to me, and I stand up from the floor and shove him back. "Why the fuck would you let him do that?!" I exclaim at him and his jaw clenches.

"I'll let you have that, sweetheart because you're my brother's girl, but don't think about doing it again." He warns and my jaw clenches. "If you want to live a normal life with him, you're going to have to risk living a life without him for however long is needed." My brows furrow in confusion.

"He's not dead?" Dax rubs his face and releases a frustrated sigh. "Why didn't he just fucking tell me that?! Not make out like he was going to burn with that fucking building!" I throw my hands up in the air.

"Calm the fuck down." He hisses and then his face softens when he looks at something behind me.

"Everlee?" My eyes sting with tears and I hold my breath at the gentle yet similar voice behind me. I look over my shoulder and a quiet sob escapes my mouth as I stare at my mother, her long curly hair similar to mine framing her beautiful, angelic face. She's lost so much weight and looks tired, with dark bags under her brown eyes, but she doesn't fail to still look beautiful.

"Mum?" I croak, turning around fully, tears cascading down my cheeks. "Mum!" I close the distance and wrap my arms tight around her fragile frame.

"My gorgeous girl, I'm so sorry! I should have been better!" She cries quietly, embracing me tightly. "I'm sorry." She repeats over and over again, but I hold her tightly, just grateful that she is here with me. The only family I have left.

"I love you." I don't hesitate to tell her, pulling back, sniffling. Her eyes are full of hope and I know she's fighting an inner battle, thinking she has failed as a mother. Samuel controlled her and forced her to stay with him because she knew his darkest secrets.

"I love you so much, my sweet girl." She cradles my face gently, wiping the tears away with a swipe of her thumb. "I'm here now." Those words have me crying hysterically for a very long time.

Even when the van comes to escort us to a private airport just as the police and military come storming the area, I keep myself wrapped tight around her. While I'm cuddling up with her, I observe everyone else. Lottie and Cairo both sit in silence next to each other, their hands laced together. Dax is speaking to his mother, who stares at him with still so much shock, not quite believing she has her child back. Then there is Luna who finally awoke from her unconscious state.

She's cradled up against Maddox's large for, his gloved hands, stroking her face and then her hair. She reaches up to trail a finger along his mask and his brown eyes glimmer at her touch, his arms tightening around her.