Nine

Nine
🌸Everlee🌸

Blaze's hand tightens a little around my wrist as he waits for my answer, a small crease resting on his forehead as his eyes swim with anticipation. My heart thuds against my chest as I try to digest the words that he just uttered. Blaze wants to have a date with me?! It's clear we could never go out together, but we could just be here in the safe four walls of my home.

"Everlee?" His head tilts and a small blush forms on his face.

"Yes, yes, yes!" I beam in excitement.

I rush around the penthouse, a huge smile on my face, and go to retrieve blankets and pillows. Anything I can get my hands on. Blaze wants to go on a date and, for some crazy reason, I think this is going to be the best date I've ever had!

The giant bodyguard is still standing tall in the place where I left him, a confused look on his handsome face. He must think, what the hell am I doing?

I rush out onto the balcony of my penthouse and throw all the fluffy pillows and blankets onto the loveseat. The huge smile has not left my face, and although my cheeks are aching, I can't seem to stop. I don't want to stop smiling. Ever since I've met Blaze, I've noticed how much happier I've been, and although he's just my bodyguard, he's great company. Even if he is grumpy most of the time.

The next stop is the kitchen, where I grab a load of snacks and drinks, stuffing it all into my arms — or trying to. Blaze must sense my struggle and gives me a disapproving stare before taking some things from my aching arms.

"Thanks," I whisper breathlessly and run back to the balcony doors.

But as I'm running, I'm stopped by the sound of Blaze's voice. "No running!" My eyes widen and I reduce my running to a quick walk.

When I've finished setting up everything, I stare at the layout with a prideful smile on my face. It looks so cosy, especially when I go to put on the fairy lights that Lottie put up a few months ago.

Looking over my shoulder, I bite my lip, holding back a laugh as I observe Blaze. He's looking at everything with a perplexed expression. A giggle leaves my lips and his emerald eyes fall on me.

"It's our date." I spin around in a circle, pointing at everything, from the bowl of sweets to the soft blankets and pillows. However, Blaze is yet to react and sadly, my smile falls. He doesn't like it? "You don't like it?" My voice is filled with disappointment because of the lack of excitement coming from Blaze. I thought he'd like it, seeing as he wanted to go on a date in the first place.

That feeling of not being good enough slips through the gaps of the window that I've tried to keep locked for a very long time. For most of my life, I had to deal with trying to impress my father, but nothing ever impressed him with me. Not like my strong-minded brother, who serves in the military. Even when I launched my business, I could tell in my father's eyes that he wasn't happy. It wasn't the career path he wanted me to take. No matter what I do, he'll always see me as helpless. Just like he sees my poor mother.

My eyes sting with tears, and I bite my trembling lip when Blaze turns on his heel and walks back into the apartment. It's only when he's turned the corner and he's out of sight to do I release a small sob. I'm beginning to think that all these men I've been on dates with aren't the problem and that it's me. I must be the problem.

Sniffling, I drag my feet to the loveseat and wrap myself in the blankets. I continue to cry as I stare out at the city of London in front of me. The glowing lights of everyone's little homes have me wondering how happy they are, or if there are people that feel so alone and sad like I do right now. It's crazy to think that between every four walls, people have their own little life.