Five

Five
🌸Everlee🌸

"Are you mad?" I slur, nearly tumbling out of the lift to my penthouse. If it wasn't for Blaze's quick reflexes, I would most definitely now be laying face-first on the marble floor.

His arms tighten around my waist and he leads me further into my empty home. My skin is warm, and my eyes blur from the effects of the alcohol. But I'm very aware of the electricity running through my skin from where Blaze has his hands firmly placed.

"Why can't you speak?" I whine as soon as he's let go of me. Spinning around, I turn to look up at Blaze. His handsome face is void of any emotion, and I release a frustrated grunt. "I just wanna have a conversation with you, Blaze." I throw my hands up in the air, but Blaze just follows my actions with his eyes and then tilts his head.

I walk into the kitchen and retrieve a bottle of water, with Blaze following close on my trail. As I take a sip from my drink, I make eye contact with Blaze and almost choke at how close he is to me. He's practically left an inch of space between us, and I'm concluding that Blaze doesn't quite know what personal space is, since he's done this on many other occasions.

Yet again, he grabs my hand and places it against his chest, but I furrow my eyebrows.

There's nothing for him to apologise for. Does he think I'm mad at him?

"Why are you saying sorry? Did you not put the toilet seat down?" Why the hell am I asking that random question? "Blaze, why can't you speak to me?" I look away from him and glare at his chest. I'm desperate to hear his voice and understand what he's thinking and how he's feeling. I know he's only meant to be my bodyguard, and that we probably shouldn't act like we're friends, but the man is such a mystery and he makes me curious.

But for some crazy reason, I want him to be my friend.

A small gasp escapes my lips when his finger slides its way under my chin and lifts my head. His hand still rests gently on my chest, and I only now realise that I wrapped my hands around his wrist, keeping his hand in place.

I know he can feel my heart racing under his warm palm, but I don't want him to pull away. His green eyes alternate between my brown ones, and then they drop to my lips. I lick them and his jaw tics before he pulls away completely.

Disappointment is all I feel when I watch him turn his back on me and make his way down the corridor. The click of his door tells me he's now gone to rest for the night and I sigh to myself, resting my back against the kitchen surface.

All I want is to have a conversation with the giant I'm now sharing my home with, but he doesn't want to speak. I have to find out why he doesn't talk.

•••

I've asked my father to meet me for lunch and right now, I'm watching him with cautious eyes as he digs into a full English. Of course, Blaze came with me, but my father dismissed him and said he could have a few hours off. I didn't miss the threatening tone in his voice when he spoke to Blaze.

Blaze gave me cautious eyes when he was told to leave, but I gave him a reassuring smile before he climbed into the blacked-out SUV that my father had just stepped out off.

"So why did you ask to meet me for lunch, honey?" My father questions after swallowing a bite of his food. I take a glance out the window and then avert my eyes back to his.

"It's about Blaze." His back straightens, and he places his knife and fork down.

"What about him? Has he hurt you?" My eyes widen at his question and I wonder why that's the first thing he would ask. Blaze doesn't seem like the type to purposely hurt someone, even if he is a bodyguard. Considering I've only been with Blaze for a little under a week, I've never felt so safe. Even if he doesn't speak to me.