Six

Six
🌸Everlee🌸

Blaze is on his third serving of ice cream. I'm starting to think he might be forming some addiction to the sweet treat. I watch in amusement as he finishes his third cone and then looks around the ice cream shop like he's waiting for another one to magically appear in front of him.

"Okay, I think that's enough ice cream for today." I expect Blaze to grow miserable from my words, but he doesn't, and instead gives me a firm nod and stands up from his seat. "We can always come back another day." I smile up at him and he nods again.

Sighing to myself we walk out of the shop. Deep down I wish he would just say at least one word to me. Unfortunately, it seems it's going to be a lot harder than I thought. Blaze must sense my dampened mood as we reach my car, and before he opens the door for me, he places his finger under my chin and lifts my head.

"What is it?" I whisper, slowly blinking my eyes up at him. "Blaze, are you okay?" His mouth opens and my eyes widen. Come on Blaze, please say something!

Much to my dismay, his eyebrows furrow, and his mouth slams shut. He reaches round and the click of the door handle has me nibbling on my bottom lip as I let him usher me into the car. Throughout the entire journey, I sit quietly in the passenger side, playing with the loose thread of my skirt.

We make it back and as I open the door to my office, Lottie throws herself at me, wrapping her slim arms around my shoulders. She's much taller than me, because of her being five foot eleven, and the fact she has a pair of heels that make her the same height as Blaze.

She's such a gorgeous woman.

"Someone's excited to see me." I pull back slightly and look at my best friend with questioning eyes. "What have you done?" I raise my eyebrows.

"Why do you automatically assume I've done something wrong?" She pulls her body away and huffs. "I'm just happy to see my bestie and her friendly bodyguard. Hello, Blaze!" She waves with an enthusiastic smile at the giant pressed up behind me. All he does in return is a small nod. Nothing new with Blaze.

"So I've come here to tell you that Hugh was here earlier on. He came looking for you, but for obvious reasons, you weren't here." She takes a glance at Blaze behind me before her attention is on me again.

"What did he want?"

"To take you on a date." She says like it's obvious, and I feel Blaze's body tense up behind me. He's probably annoyed that he has to follow and accompany me on a date. I'll see if he can get the evening off so he's not bored, otherwise, I'll feel bad for dragging him along.

"Oh, wow," I say awkwardly, avoiding eye contact with Blaze. The atmosphere in my office has dimmed and I don't know if I'm going crazy, but the air has gotten colder too.

"So, are you gonna go? He left his number." Lottie bounces on the balls of her feet in excitement.

"I-I'll think about it." I give a tight smile and look down at my heels.

"I did also come to tell you I've booked a business trip in the next couple of weeks. I'll email you the details."

"Thank you, Lottie."

"Okay, that's my cue, and don't keep Hugh waiting!" And then she scurries out with a bright smile on her freckled face.

Taking small steps to my desk, I avoid all eye contact with Blaze and continue with my work. I have no idea why I'm trying to avoid looking at him, so I take the courage and look up through my lashes.

His back is against the wall, his hands behind his back, and his legs slightly spread. I bite my lip, my eyes working their way up his body, only for a small gasp to leave my lips when my eyes connect with his hardened ones.

My eyes quickly avert back to the bright computer screen, and I take a deep breath. Fuck.

Why is it that every time I look at Blaze, I get butterflies? But when I think about going on a date with Hugh, there's nothing.

Discreetly, I look back at Blaze, but his eyes are now on the floor, his jaw clenched tightly. I just want to know what he's thinking, and how he's feeling.

I want to know Blaze.

•••

When the evening comes, I sit on the sofa with a film playing in the background. I turn to look out the floor-to-ceiling windows, which showcase the city skyline and smile at the beautiful view.

Ever since we returned a few hours ago, Blaze has kept to himself in his room. The door to his room was slightly open when I walked past earlier on. I also admit to taking a small peek and seeing his topless self looking out the window, his arms crossed against his muscular chest. I'm ashamed to say that my lace underwear dampened at the sight of his tanned and tatted torso.

I'm hoping to the high heavens he doesn't have super senses and sensed me practically perving at him. That would be embarrassing.

Getting bored with the film, I take my phone and my earphones and step out onto the balcony, getting a closer look at the city lights.

As I'm in my own little world, I don't notice a tall figure standing close to me. It's only when I feel the dip of the seat next to me I realise it's Blaze. Unfortunately, he's put a shirt on.

"You okay?" I pull my earphones out and turn my body to face him. His eyes roam my body, which is clad in silk nightwear and a cream knitted cardigan, because of the light summer breeze brushing against my skin.

There's a troubled look on Blaze's face as he glares at the floor with furrowed eyebrows.

"Blaze?" I whisper, placing my hand on his arm. To my shock, Blaze jumps at the skin-to-skin contact and moves away from me as if I've just burnt him. "Sorry," I say, my voice full of shame for touching him without permission.

I shuffle away from him and play with my hands in my lap. Upsetting people is something that makes me feel like a terrible person. I never want to upset people, and I'm worried that I've upset Blaze. I'm too ashamed to even look at him.

However, I feel the warmth of his body. He's moved closer to me. He's not mad?

Building the courage, I look up at him. His emerald eyes are so bright, that I can almost see my reflection so clearly.

"I'm sorry for upsetting you, Blaze." He frowns at my words and tilts my face up with his finger. In his eyes, and on his face, he looks like he's fighting a battle.

He's staring at me intensely, and I don't know if the goosebumps rising on my skin are from the wind or the look on his face. The look of admiration.

Is Blaze admiring me?

"Blaze?" I whisper again, and his eyes drop to my lips, then back up to my eyes.

"Beautiful."

Unknown

"His heart rate has increased slightly over the past couple of weeks. Should we bring him back in for further analysis?"

A snarl escapes my mouth as I look at the new set of data in front of me. However, a smirk morphs on to my face at the new idea that enters my mind. "No, let him have his fun."

For now.

A/N
Thank you so much for 34k reads 🖤