Twenty-One

Twenty-One
⚡️Blaze⚡️

My eyes instantly roll at the sight of Josh standing in front with a gun aimed at us. He hasn't even realised the safety is still on.

"If you know what's best for you, my friend, you'd move out of our way," Cairo speaks up, a bored look on his face with his arm wrapped around Lottie like a coil.

I look down at my Everlee to see her already staring up at me with wide eyes, her hand tight around mine. I lean down and place a soft kiss on top of her forehead. "It's okay," I mumble against her skin and pull my hand away from her. Everlee's breath hitches at my action but she knows what I'm about to do.

Dropping the duffle bag onto the floor, I pull my gun out from the holster on my back and step toward a shaking Josh. A laugh almost leaves my mouth at the sight of the scared idiot — almost.

"Here's what's going to happen, Josh." I start cooly as I continue to take step after step until I am standing in front of him. "You won't kill me."

"I-I will." He stutters and my eyebrows raise in amusement.

"No, you won't. Not unless you want to die too." This time I crouch down by his ear so only he can hear and whisper, "Tell Professor Samuel to count his days." I pull away and grin, snatching the gun from his hand and dismantling it.

"You're a dead man, Donovan."

"I see people have been gossiping about me. The name is Blaze, Josh. Donovan doesn't exist anymore." I pat his shoulder and turn my head. "Let's go." Cairo and Lottie make their way over to the car and I wait for my girl to lace her hand back with my own. I throw Josh one last warning glare and I'm pretty sure he wants to shit himself.

Cairo ends up driving us to the airport where a private plane is already waiting for us on the runway. He has one hand on the steering wheel and the other clutched tightly onto Lottie's. I knew he would ignore my instructions on keeping his distance from the redhead sitting in the front with a huge smile aimed toward him. "You okay?" My head turns to face my girl who has been too quiet for my liking. I can't stop myself from brushing my lips against her forehead. Something in me just always wants to shower her with affection and I crave her touches of affection just as much.

She isn't giving me that right now.

"Everlee?" I say her name a little more sternly and my heart almost stops when she looks up at me with glossy eyes. "Talk to me, baby." My hand cups her cheek, my thumb rubbing against the soft skin of her cheek.

"Everything is just happening so fast and I don't know how to deal with it all. I've just found out my father is basically a psychotic scientist who experiments on human beings. I've got a whole business to run but I'm struggling to concentrate. What else could go wrong, Blaze?" A lot. But of course, I don't tell her that. Either way, I will make sure she'll be okay. Safe from any danger that wants to come in and take her away from me. Nothing will take her from me. Not even her fucked up father.

All I can do is hold her and whisper words of reassurance into her ear as she cries quietly. Lottie throws her friend a concerned look and it makes me unsure whether Cairo has told her everything.

Once we reach the tarmac, Everlee's body tenses straight away when she spots the small whit and gold private jet, sitting ready for us on the runway.

"I can't get on that. It's too small." She panics, looking at me with a distressed expression on her beautiful face. It kills me to see her like this.

"Baby, right now we don't have a choice, you need to get on this plane. I always say I will never let anything bad happen to you. I'd rather die than anyone or anything hurt you, okay?" I crane my neck to look down at her and she inhales a shaky breath. "Let's do a deal. You get on this plane, and I'll tell you everything you want to know."