Twenty

Twenty
🌸Everlee🌸

Blaze hastily packs both of our bags and an uneasy feeling begins to seep through the cracks. Usually, Blaze is calm and collected but right now, the deep frown on his face tells me he is anything but. He's stressed and I know that there is something he isn't telling me. Something that has to do with my father.

"Blaze can you at least explain to me what's going on?" My question goes through one ear and out the other as he continues to stuff our clothes into a huge, black leather duffle bag. "Are Cairo and Lottie coming with us? If we're in danger I won't leave her behind. I'm all she has. Please, Blaze. Give me a little clarity here." Finally, Blaze looks at me and a gentle sigh leaves his mouth. The packing comes to a standstill and he makes his way over to me and crouches down in front of where I'm sitting on a wooden chair.

My heart skips a beat as he grabs hold of my hand and holds it against his chest, his own heart thrashing against his rib cage.

"You trust me?" He questions me for the second time tonight and I don't hesitate to nod my head. "Your father isn't a good man, baby. And he doesn't care about you or your safety at all. In fact, he is a danger. No one else, just him. A couple of days ago, he threatened me with your life. Now tell me what sane father would do that to their child?" My breath hitches at his words. That's something I wasn't expecting him to say. I know sometimes my father can be hot-tempered and secretive, but surely he wouldn't put me in danger on purpose.

"I don't understand." My voice cracks and my eyes sting with tears. "Has he been lying about people being after him?"

Blaze nods his head and continues. "You want to know how I know that your father isn't a good man?" I nod my head eagerly. "He experiments on human beings. People like Cairo, people like me." My hand covers my mouth as I let the shock absorb in from Blaze's words. Ever since I was a little girl I admired my father, he would tell me and my brother stories about him trying to find a cure for diseases. That was never the truth and he lied to us. A nauseating feeling settles in and I find myself rushing to the toilet and spewing everything from our dinner hours ago.

Blaze is quick on my heels and rubs my back saying soothing words but my ears are ringing too loud for me to hear what he's saying to me.

"I'm such an idiot for thinking he was a good person." I sob, feeling guilty for what Blaze and Cairo must have gone through, along with a load of other poor people. My mother comes to mind, and I wonder if she knows too, but something tells me she has no idea, considering my father wasn't exactly talkative around her. "I've been so stupidly naive," I say more to myself, flushing the toilet and quickly brushing my teeth.

Blaze and I walk back into the bedroom and I take a seat on the end of the bed, staring blankly at the wall.

"What did he do to you?" My gaze falls to Blaze who has gone back to crouching down in front of me, his hands resting softly on my thighs. He looks away from my gaze and a frown sets on his face.

"There were loads of boys being experimented on for different things. They wanted to 'enhance us'. They wanted us to be quicker, stronger, see things better, and hear things from a far distance. Most of them died from 'accidental' overdoses. They wanted to be the first people to create supernatural beings, if anything it's made me incredibly fucked in the head." My heart aches as Blaze chuckles, trying to make light of the situation. "There's a lot I have to tell you, Everlee, but we don't have time now. I need to get you somewhere safe. As soon as we're safe I will tell you everything.

"Cairo has an old friend from the lab. He lives in Greece, we can lay low there for a bit until I sort everything out." My head slowly nods, but my mind is struggling to keep up with everything that is happening. "I know it's a lot to take in at the moment, baby, but please trust me." Blaze grabs a hold of my hands, squeezing them gently with a pleading look on his beautiful face. "I care about you so much."

My heart nearly jumps out of my chest and I can't help but smile at him. "I care about you too," I whisper and the biggest smile morphs onto his face.

"You do?" He questions like he almost can't believe it and I nod my head with open arms and he doesn't hesitate to throw his arms around my body. We both fall back onto the soft mattress, Blaze's weight on top of me and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. My legs and arms wrap tightly around his body, and I bury my face into the crook of his neck, inhaling his manly-smelling aftershave.

"I'm sorry," I say quietly.

Blaze's body tenses above me, and he pulls his head back to look down at me.

"What for?" He rasps, reaching up to tuck a curl behind my ear.

"For what my father did to you." I can't stop the tears from escaping my eyes and Blaze looks panicked and frantically wipes the drops of salty water from my cheeks.

"Baby, none of this is your fault. Don't blame yourself for your father's wrongdoings. Do you understand me?" He waits for my reply and I agree which makes him relax instantly.

"How are we going to leave without being seen?"

Blaze smirks.

•••

I stare at all of the unconscious bodies slumped against the walls, every man tied up. Blaze stares at me with a prideful look as I look on with wide eyes. For the last ten minutes, Lottie and I have watched Blaze and Cairo dismantle every camera and knock every guard out like it's nothing. Seeing the way Blaze's muscles flexed and the look in his eyes when he'd press down on a guard's pressure point had butterflies flying around in my stomach. What the hell is wrong with me and why am I getting turned on by watching my bodyguard knock someone unconscious?!

But is Blaze just my bodyguard now?

"Come," Blaze says, picking up the duffle bag and grabbing my hand to lead us out of the villa.

As we step out into the humid air a feeling of dread enters my body when I finally realise what we are doing. We're on the run from own my flesh and blood. The man who is sick enough to experiment on young boys. People like my Blaze.

Blaze pulls me from my thoughts, tugging a little harder on my hand to encourage me to move forward. There's a car in the distance that I assume we are making our way toward but we're all stopped when Josh steps into our line of vision with a gun aimed at us.

"What the fuck are you doing, Donovan?"

A/N
Who likes my new banner?!
Also if you haven't seen already, I'm planning on writing a book for Mason from Bosses and Butterflies. Let me know what you think? I'm thinking of making it a poly book but I'm not too sure yet 🖤

 Let me know what you think? I'm thinking of making it a poly book but I'm not too sure yet 🖤