Twenty-Four

Twenty-Four
⚡️Blaze⚡️

My angel hasn't said a word for the past three hours and to say I'm worried would be an understatement. It's way past midnight and Everlee has been sitting out on the balcony staring out into the distance with a blank look on her beautiful face. I don't like it one bit. I want to see her smiling, all the time.

Of course, I had no idea that her brother was being experimented on like Cairo and me. It's sickening to think that their father would do this and it makes me incredibly nauseous to think of how it could have been my Everlee in that terrifying position. The thought sends my mind into a craze.

"Everlee, talk to me please." I plead, crouching down in front of her with a frown etched onto my face. "Please, baby."

"I feel so stupid and naive." She croaks and I'm relieved that she's finally talking but not relieved about what is coming out of her mouth. "None of you deserved this and I feel so disgusted in myself for being related to someone that could do such an inhumane thing."

"You're nothing like that man. You have nothing to be ashamed of, do you understand me, Everlee? You're so, so beautiful inside and out. You're so kind and caring and you make me feel like the luckiest man on this planet. You make it feel like everything that happened in the past wasn't even real. You've taken all of those bad memories I had and given me something so beautiful." I tell her, grabbing a hold of her hand and pressing the palm of it flat against my racing heart.

Tears brim in her eyes and before I know it, she's wrapped up in my arms, sobbing into my neck. All I can do at this moment is stroke her back and whisper that everything is going to be okay. Because it will be. I'll make everything okay for her as she has done with me.

"Look at me." My chest aches when she shakes her head, pursing her lips as the salty tears relentlessly stream down her soft brown cheeks. "Look at me, baby." I grab a hold of her face gently and turn her head to look down at me. She turns her gaze on me, reluctantly.

"I feel like there is so much I could have done if I had just opened my eyes a little further. If I had just seen in between the lines, I could have saved a lot of people." My mouth opens a little, shock running through me at the way Everlee is blaming herself for what her fucked up father has done. "My mum—" her face falls and I panic.

"What about your mum?"

"I haven't seen her for almost a year. My father told me she went away on a business trip." Realisation morphs onto her face and worry builds on mine. A whimper comes from her and she starts to hyperventilate.

"Hey, Everlee. You need to calm down for me, baby." I place my hands on her cheeks and tell her to follow the pattern of my breathing. "In...out... that's it, my girl. Deep breaths."

"I'm sorry." She sniffles, her breathing still a little shaky.

"You've got nothing to be sorry for, Everlee. Now, what about your mother?" Her breath hitches at the mention of her mother.

"Well i-if my father took my brother then he probably has my mother." The likelihood of that is true, but I need Everlee to remain calm. I don't want her to end up in another state of panic.

Just as I go to answer her, Easton comes out with a worried look aimed at his sister.

"I've had my incline that mum isn't safe. I haven't heard from her for over a year but I'm trying my hardest to find her. She'll be fine, our mum is a strong woman." Everlee nods with an uneasy smile, but she hasn't heard from her for a year either. It can't be a coincidence. "You okay, Lee?" He takes the seat next to her and grabs hold of her hand.

"What happened to you?" Everlee questions him and I sit up from my crouched position and grab a chair, pulling it right up next to her.

"Dad's plan was for me to follow in on his footsteps. I knew very little about what he did in the lab, I pretty much knew as much as you and mum did — that he was trying to find out cures for diseases. He wanted me to do the same thing and I said no." Easton inhales a deep breath and then continues. "Of course, he didn't like that. Next thing I know, I'm waking up from a coma inside the lab."

"But you're his son. Why would he do such a thing to his own flesh and blood?" Everlee croaks in disbelief.

"The moment I said no to being a scientist, I was no longer his son."

"How did you meet Cairo?" I question him, wanting to know how my best friend knew him. I also need to ask Cairo if he knew all along that Easton was Everlee's brother.

"For some time we shared a cell. I actually saw you a few times but most of the time you were... erm— unconscious." His eyes alternate between me and Everlee and for some reason, I feel embarrassed. I don't need Everlee reminded of how helpless I was. How much of a struggle it was just waking up every day. I don't want to remember that, I just need the new memories that she can give me. "Cairo helped me escape two years ago. I practically owe him my life."

"What did dad do to you?"

"Pretty much what he did to everyone. He wanted to enhance us, instead, he's made me worse. I can't see fully out of my left eye and I'll never be able to have children." Everlee covers her mouth in shock, her eyes brimming with more tears and it's killing me. "He's a deluded man, Everlee and he needs to be stopped." He looks at me when he utters the last few words and I know exactly what he means by that.

"I'm sorry," Everlee whispers and then wraps her arms around her brother in a comforting hug.

"I don't want this to happen to you, Everlee. You understand what has to be done right?" He tells her.

"None of this will happen to, Everlee. Over my dead body will I let that scumbag hurt her."

Samuel needs to be killed.

Easton chuckles, pulling away from his sister and holds his hand out for me to shake, to which I do.

"I appreciate you for taking care of my sister and admire you for your strength. We'll need to figure out a plan tomorrow morning, we can't stay here for too long." I smile and give a short nod. "Apologies for hugging my sister too tight earlier on." He smirks and then walks away, not before kissing Everlee on the top of her head, muttering a quiet 'goodnight'.

For about twenty minutes we sit in comfortable silence. Everlee clutching tight to my hand and it makes me feel even more protective of her. I know I'd do absolutely anything for my angel. Protecting her will always be my number one priority. Always.

Soon, Everlee stands from her chair and holds her hand out for me.

"Come to bed?" She tilts her head with a look in her eyes that I've begun to know all too well.

She wants to do more than sleep.