Chapter 59

Thank you for your support and donation!ヽ(✿▽)ノ

❅─────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅ ❅─────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅

"Please don't get me wrong, madam. That doesnt mean I'm trying to blame them. They were all very nice people before I met them. It was me who made them like that. Wearing this mask was actually the advice of Duke Alberton. He said that my face and Odd Eye have a curse that incites a lady's greed. He said that in the future, Leon also would grow up and become like me."

Grace bit her lower lip at the name of her father, Duke Alberton, mentioned again in Arthur's mouth.

Again that man, father's name.

To what extent did that person deeply involved in this matter? Grace called his name looking at him with eyes full of complicated resentment towards her father and sorrow for Arthur.

"Arthur."

"So, to be honest, I'm a little scared. I'm afraid that the curse on this face will hurt my wife too."

"Are you afraid, like with other young girls, that I might endanger your life just because you looked elsewhere and smiled at Leon?"

Arthur shook his head firmly and answered Grace's question.

"I am not at all afraid of getting hurt or dying at the hands of my wife."

"Are you sure?"

"What I fear most is that my wife does not love me and that you're afraid of me."

As Arthur's answered, a tear fell under the mask.

Until now, he has seen countless times that humans relentlessly throw away things like love for the sake of intense greed. He has witnessed countless disgusting things such as a lord who sacrificed all his beloved daughters to an old 90-year-old king for power or selling his beautiful wife to a wealthy imperial family to pay off his debts from the war.

In the face of intense greed, love collapses endlessly.

Arthur was afraid that Grace would also lose to such greed. Or in order not to lose to that greed, in order not to go crazy, he was afraid she would stay away from him.

So, even when he first confessed his love to her with greed, he didn't take off his mask cowardly. Because he wanted her to love his weak self first, who was completely trapped in this shell.

Arthur shed tears from his other eye too and spoke to her as if confessing.

"I'm a coward. I'm a coward, but Im greedy as well."

"Arthur."

"Honestly, I wasn't confident. No, I think it would be right to say that I didn't fully trust you even though I loved you. It was because I knew well what it was like to own and have a person like a jewel. The moment I saw your portrait sent by the Alberton family, I broke my decision not to get married again and became greedy."

Grace, who was listening to Arthur, felt her heart pounding uncontrollably at the situation.

She knew that Arthur had also accepted this marriage under the Emperor's power, but she didnt know there would be such a situation. Grace smiled softly at Arthur, who bowed his head in front of her and let go of her hand. Arthur gently resisted as if he wouldnt let go, but Grace relentlessly pulled out her hand.

After that, Arthur's shoulders, which were enough to be twice as wide as her own, drooped blatantly. Seeing that, Grace swallowed a laugh, lifted Arthurs chin with both hands, made eye contact, and spoke brightly.