|- chapter ten -|

tw // hospital wing

I woke up in the hospital wing, wide awake and feeling much better. On my left were heart monitors and IV kits. On my right was... Bucky.

"Hey." I said with a smile.
"Welcome back." He answered back with a grin growing on his face.
"How long was I out?" I asked.
"Meh, we arrived here about 7 hours ago. Tony and I wanted to let you sleep so we were taking shifts to look after you." He replied.
"Oh yeah? How long's your shift been?" I asked. Bucky looked at the clock on the flat screen TV on the opposite wall.
"About 7 hours." He answered. We both chuckled.

"Hey FRIDAY?" I called.

Yes Miss Walker?

"Can I get out of here?" I asked.

One moment while I assess vitals and physical health...
...

...

You appear to be fine Miss Walker. You may leave. I will inform Mr. Stark.

"Perfect, tell him I'm in my room." I said, beginning to get out of bed.
"Woah woah there." Bucky said, walking briskly towards me and stopping me from standing up.
"What?" I asked.
"Tony said you weren't allowed to leave until he has checked on you personally." He said. I scoffed and lay back in bed reluctantly.

A few minutes later, Tony entered the room.
"What's this about FRIDAY letting me know you were in your room?" He asked. He wasn't angry, he was just joking about.
"Sorry Tony, I thought I was allowed to leave." I said apologetically.
"It's fine Bug. Let me check your stitches." He replied.

"Bug?" Bucky asked in his mind. I gave him a look of 'I'll tell you later' and then pulled up my sleeve.

Tony inspected every stitch and made sure that there was nothing wrong with any of them.
"Yeah you're fine. Go up to your room, but not training until it's healed. Now that it's healing you can't magic it better. Okay?" Tony instructed.
"Okay." I answered. Tony flashed a quick smile and then left the room. Before he did though, he pointed at Bucky and instructed,
"Don't lay your eyes off of her. The gathering is starting in over an hour and a half and I want her to make an appearance for a little bit." Tony said. "Borrow one of Steve's old suits. The Wakandans are coming too."

Tony then left and went down to his personal floor. Bucky watched me get out of bed and held the door open for me. He followed me closely to the elevator and stood right beside me on it.

As the elevator went up, I felt my hand creep towards his. My heart raced when I brushed my knuckles against Bucky's. I slowly reached my pinky out to hold his, but we were interrupted when the elevator abruptly stopped to let a trainee on. We instantly pulled our hands away and took a small step away from each other.

After a few very long seconds, we got to the floor where my room was. I lead Bucky down the hall and showed him to my room. Nothing had changed, apart from my bed sheets changing from light blue to white and light grey.

"Just as I remembered it." He said with a smile.
"Yeah unsurprisingly, I don't like changing huge things about my room." I answered.
"Fair enough. I did it a lot at my home in Wakanda."
Bucky replied.
"Well, you're strong enough to do it so," I said with a small laugh. He laughed lightly with me.
"Yeah, true."

We stood in the middle of my room awkwardly. I looked around my room to see what we could do, when I caught eyes on my TV.
"Wanna watch some TV before we have to get ready?" I asked.
"I'd love to." He answered.

So we did, we really only watched the news because that was the only interesting thing that was going on. There were clips of us and Peter fighting those men. After looking back on those clips, you could see that they never spoke. I thought that this was weird, because they all ran away together and knew everyone's moves... but they weren't robots because they bled.

"They weren't just ordinary guys we were fighting Buck." I said. "What were they?" I asked.
"I don't know Bell." He answered. "They're not like anyone I've ever seen."
"Same, and I fought the Chitauri and a robot." I said.
"We can ask Tony to look into it after the gathering." He answered. "Speaking of that, we should probably get ready for it." He added, standing up.
"Good idea. I'll find a dress, FRIDAY can give you directions to Steve's room." I explained.
"Sure sure. FRIDAY?" He called.

I ran into my closet and raked around for my deep blue, cold shoulder full length dress. I figured if Bucky needed a suit, I'd have to wear something formal.
I slipped on the dress and brushed my hair. I pulled it into a half-up, half-down hairstyle and brushed some light makeup on my face to take away the dark eye bags and sleep deprivation I had.

I left my closet and grabbed an almost-finished perfume and sprayed it on my neck and wrists. I then checked myself in my full length mirror and fixed any imperfections on me. I slipped on some high heels and practiced walking in them before I sat on my bed and awaited Bucky.

Bucky knocked on the door twice and entered my room. He was wearing a handsome grey suit with an untied tie.

"Wow." He thought. I blushed a little and did a small twirl to walk over to him.
"Do you need help with that?" I asked, pointing to the tie.
"What do you mean? It's the style I'm going for." He said sarcastically. I smiled and tied the tie for him.
"I had to do this for my brother when he was going for job interviews. I'm very good at them." I said.
"You certainly are." He acknowledged.

Mr Barnes and Miss Walker, the gathering has begun and Mr Stark has requested your presence.

"Thanks FRIDAY." I said with a pained smile.

Bucky held out his arm and I linked mine in. We walked slowly down the stairs. I held onto Bucky tightly as we heard more and more people.

"Just remember to focus on me if things are too difficult." Bucky thought before we entered the main room.

This wasn't a gathering...

It was a formal party with over 100 people.