|- chapter twenty -|

I stirred awake to the sound of people speaking. They were all male voices. Two were deeper than one of them. I slowly opened my eyes.

I was in my bed, in my room, in my home. As my eyes adjusted to my surroundings, I saw Tony and Peter in front of me, talking. I looked to my right hand and saw someone holding it. My heart fluttered as I squeezed it lightly and looked up. Bucky looked down at me and smiled softly.

"Welcome back Beau." He said. Peter and Tony stopped talking and rushed to the other side of my bed. They all smiled at me and I smiled back.
"Hi." I croaked out. Bucky sighed with relief and leaned over to hugged me, he leaned away and sat back to where he was originally.
"I'll give you a kiss later." He thought. I smiled at him and nodded.

"It's nice to have you back kid. I'm sorry it went so badly." Tony said as he patted my shoulder.
"It's fine, I wasn't expecting just a two-day suffering anyways." I said with a pained smile.

I looked at my left arm. Expecting a cast, I was surprised to see that it was relatively normal.
"Yeah a really cool machine thing fixed it. It's as good as new." Bucky said. I smiled at it and placed it back down to listen to Peter.

"Well I'm just glad you're okay Annabel." Peter said. "Mister Stark was very worried about you. As was I." He added. I smiled at Peter, then yawned. Tony and Peter gave that as an invitation to leave. They both nodded at Bucky and then left my room.

I looked back at Bucky and smiled at him.
"I thought about you. Every second I had in there." I said as I lifted my hand to hold his cheek. "I never forgot anything about your face."
He smiled and leaned in towards me. He kissed me softly and I pulled him closer to me.
"I've missed you. So much." He thought while he pushed his lips further into mine. I pulled away and smiled at him.
"I think I've missed you more." I said. He smiled at me.
"Probably."

Just then, my stomach let out the loudest grumble I had ever heard. Bucky and I both laughed. He stood up and quickly kissed my head.
"I'll go grab you some food." He said. "What do you want?" He asked.
"Cheeseburgers." I whispered with a smile. He chuckled and opened my door.
"I'll be back in a bit then." He said as he walked out the door and closed it.

I lay back in my bed and sighed contentedly. I rubbed my fingers through my hair and came to the realisation of how greasy it actually was. I quickly put my hand back down and placed it under my covers. I really needed to shower, maybe for another day.

I waited for about 10 more minutes in a peaceful silence. Bucky came back in with a cheeseburger on a plate with a bottle of water.
"As requested. One cheeseburger." Bucky said as he sat next to me. I sat up, took the plate and placed it on my lap.
"Thank you." I said. Bucky smiled and kissed my temple before I took a small bite of the burger. I smiled contentedly and took another larger bite.

I finished the burger in 5 minutes flat and then took the water bottle from Bucky's hands. I guzzled half of it until Bucky took it from my hand. I looked at him with a slightly betrayed look on my face.

"What was that for? I'm thirsty." I complained. Bucky chuckled and closed the bottle with the cap.
"You're going to get a stomach ache, slow down." He said.
"But I'm thirsty." I pouted, reaching for the water bottle again. He pulled it away from me and and threw it on my bedroom floor.
"You'll get it in a minute, just relax and let it digest." He said.
I slumped back down in my bed and sighed. I turned to face him and gave him a frown. He rolled his eyes with a slight smile.
"Move over" He said, moving further up the bed. I moved further away from Bucky and he lifted the covers and went in my bed. He pulled my body closer to him and wrapped an arm over my waist.

We lay there in silence for a few minutes, we were probably just catching up on what we had missed for the last month. I held onto his arm and ran my fingers up and down it. As I did so, Bucky rested his head on my shoulder and watched over me.

"Do you wanna tell me a little bit about what happened?" He asked.
I let out a sigh and stop moving my hand. I thought about what to say. Although I didn't want to relive the horrible nightmare I just had, Bucky just wants to help me.
"I had one meal a day. If I didn't eat it, I got electrocuted." I started. "I got put through many vigorous tests. Ones to test my tolerance of being overloaded with emotions, others that just drained my blood. If I protested against any of them? I got electrocuted." I finished.

Bucky just stayed there in silence. He tightened his grip on my waist and I felt a strong sadness come from him. Concerned, I turned around quickly to face him. I saw a tear run down his face. I quickly wiped it away and held his cheek.
"I'm okay now though." I said reassuringly. "I'm home."
He kissed me slowly and softly. I kissed back but pulled away after a few minutes. I was becoming more tired and just needed to catch up on sleep that I had missed. I lay my head on Bucky's chest and closed my eyes.

Just when I was about to fall asleep, I felt Bucky kiss the top of my head and thought.

"I love you, Beau."