Chapter 42 - The Prince's Heartbreak

||Bethany||

The sky went darker, cackling with lights which were illuminating the whole sky and shortly spreading darkness, same as my heart which sometimes feels pain and sometimes feels this bittersweet sensation of his love which is running in my veins like venom.

Why Ethan? Why did you do this to me?

I had never fallen in love with anyone before him, now I am regretting even opening my heart to a man like him who never cared for my feelings, and kept toying with me and always treated me like his puppet, not a human.

But what about the love I have seen in his eyes for me? Was it all a lie, a deception to lure me when I would have happily accepted death for him because I am so blindly in love with him but backstabbing like that and hiding everything about his wife was wrong?

"Bethany"

His cold velvety voice tickled my ears, ceasing my heartbeats as I just couldn't help but look at him.

His eyes were glimmering with pain, and unbearable agony that I wished to take away but couldn't as I am hurt as well. But for the first time, I felt like his gaze is expressive from dismay to distress, everything was visible inside them.

"Didn't I say, I neither want to listen to you nor stay here because...

I trailed off, peeking into his intense gaze which was begging me to stay with him as if I didn't he'll lose himself or wouldn't be able to live his life.

"Because?"

His tone was firm as he peered back into my eyes with devotion.

At this moment, I felt vulnerable under the scrutiny of his sharp stare that was constantly speeding up my heart beats but abruptly that scene where he was seizing Roseline in his arms -flickered in front of my eyes making me regret even feeling like this, especially when I am supposed to hate him but can't be able to.

"Because you don't worth it, Ethan"

His eyes quickly turned cold and hurtful at my words but he suppressed his pain before turning towards the door.

"Luke"

All I heard was his loud voice calling for his friend who didn't waste any time in appearing inside the room.

Luke's head was lowered in honour of his King but soon he tilts his head up when Ethan's hand touched his shoulder in a friendly manner.

"No time for formalities, Lucia" His tone was commanding, "Your task is to take Bethany back to Springfield, safe and sound".

His friend's eyes locked with mine, there was confusion in them but he quickly suppressed it and nodded his head.

"I'll look after her"

Ethan quickly turned at me with a soft gaze but all I lend him was a cold stare.

"When will I see you again?"

There was an unknown fear in his voice as if he inferred that I don't wish to see him anytime soon.

"I think, you know the answer"

I sighed, putting on a cold face before brushing past him and strutting beside Luke whose eyes broadened in surprise but he didn't say anything.

"Luke, you can escort her now"

Bowing his head to the King, he stepped aside to let me leave first and with a heavy heart, I managed to leave him - the man I fell for but can't be with because of the suffering he has lent me.