Chapter 45 - A Wicked Plan

•Ethan•

I was wounded, it was like my soul has been snatched out of my chest and I was so helpless that I could let that happen so she can be free from me and this pain that has been tying her since she met a monster like me.

How could I even think that she can love a heartless monster like me?

"Didn't I tell you that she'll not be with you once she will know the truth?"

My darkened gaze flickered over at Ethos who appeared in the study room unasked.

His eyes held sympathy towards me, for the first time I felt like he's been human as the last time I saw emotions in his eyes was when mom turned him.

"I just did what was in my hands to keep her with me"

I took a sharp breath and clicked my tongue to the side.

"But at what cost? Still, you have lost her, Ethan" Ethos sighed, "She would have been by your side if you weren't being so controlling and untrue towards her"

I throw him a dangerous look to warn him but he didn't stop and kept speaking.

"Ethan, don't tell me you were tailing around her just because of her face?"

My eyes went darker at his stupid assumption but considering my past reckless behaviour, he isn't wrong in her place.

"Ethos, mind your tongue or I won't think twice before snapping your neck"

I gritted through my teeth, lending him a sharp look before kneading my head which wasn't paining as it's for humans but lots of things were stirring inside, taking a test of my patience.

Didn't I try to make her understand what she meant to me?

Didn't I try hard enough to show her that I cared for her?

I even went after her to Springfield to make her understand my situation but she doesn't even want to hear me out, she is hesitant to even see my face as if I'll haunt her in dreams.

Am I that bad? Am I that hideous? Am I the monster?

I have always been a monster, the same one who ruined his sister's life, the same monster who turned her sister into the same monster, the same who brought curses on his family that everyone surrounding me is now a monster like me?

And here I was being a fool to even bring Bethany into my life. I should have seen this coming. She and I are not meant for each other, I can't make her the same as me, and neither I can put her in constant danger which always encircles me wherever I go.

Now I think, it's for the better that she didn't listen to me, that she hates me and that she has given up on me.

But why am I hurt? Why my heart is aching when I am not even a human? Why am I feeling like my world has just fallen apart?