305

-Soyeon's POV-

He was shaking in his office, dressed in a white lab coat, pacing in front of me. Jin was at his breaking point. A part of me felt bad that I couldn't help, but I was also irritated and anxious to get out of here. Even though it's a new building, the layout was similar to the first one. Where Namjoon brought me after taking me out of the church.

I passed out right in the entrance. In front of everyone after Jin tried to shake my hand. And Joohyun was the one who first diagnosed me. That day, I had over a dozen nurses looking at me in pity when they found..."signs of abuse" all over my body. Carefully placed so unless I was going through the streets with nothing but my dignity, no one would be able to see them.

Me: Jin, C'mon.

Seokjin: Did it occur to you and your scary boyfriend that I don't want to do this? This is my family!

Me: That tried to kill you, Jin! And who was there again?

Seokjin: Robin, hear yourself! This is my family.

Me: Yeah. If I continued to hold my father to the standard family, I would still be living in a semi basement with the shit being beaten out of me every day. Get it together.

Seokjin: *sighing* What if I get caught? Hm? Are you going to have another inspirational pep talk again?

Me: If you do what I tell you, I won't have to. Just go in there, and have a regular conversation. And when she's not looking, get her "work" phone.

Seokjin: ...

Me: Don't you know you have the advantage here? They'll suspect me before they suspect you.

Seokjin: ...

Me: my god...It'll be gone for all of twenty minutes! Go!

He gulped and stuffed his hands in his pockets as he left. My teeth grinded together nervously. I went to check my phone, a couple missed texts from Namjoon, a lot of messages from Yoongi who was waiting outside behind the clinic building, waiting for me to come back out with Joohyun's phone.

I put a mic in Jin's pockets so I could listen to them through my phone, but all I could hear was footsteps, and the small talk going on through the halls. I paced around his office too until I heard Joohyun's voice.

Seokjin: Hey.

Joohyun: I only have a few minutes. What's up?

Seokjin: Nothing just...um...room two-three-eight needs a new IV bag.

Joohyun: Right. I meant to go earlier. Thank you.

Her heels clicked on the tile as she strutted her way out. Jin counted to thirty, then there was a shuffle. He opened drawers on her desk, going through all of them until I heard a thump, something falling back in the pocket of the microphone.

When Jin was back in his office with me, his hands were shaking again, finally handing me the phone. He exhaled, taking a few steps away from me while he brushed his black hair back. The glass on the phone was warm and moist from the sweat on his hands.

Me: Thanks. Don't leave here until I come back.

I wanted to reach and pat his back. Or shoulder. But the idea of making that contact made my stomach turn in a way that hasn't triggered me in a while. I turned my head forward, pulling up a mask with my sunglasses, and walked out his office and went downstairs.

Yoongi's blue mustang waited for me in the back parking lot. His head was leaned back in his seat, eyes closed, the bass of his music vibrating the ground. I tapped on the hood and he jolted up and turned down the music as I got into the front seat.

Me: Let's go.

Yoongi: How'd he do?

Me: Well, I got the phone. But he was scared.

Yoongi: I swear, he's so fucking dramatic. It'll literally be twenty minutes. The tech guy is right here.

Me: Come inside with me?

Yoongi: Yeah. Fine.

The store smelled disgusting. Like stale sour cream and onion chips. But the guy behind the counter looked cleaner than anything in here. And he stared right past me and at Yoongi, making him furrow his eyebrows and size him up, even pulled his sweater across his chest.

Clerk: How can I help you?

Me: I need you to mirror a phone. Here.

He still wasn't looking at me, fixated on Yoongi picking up batteries from a shelf. I had to ring the bell to get his attention again, and slid him both Joohyun's and the burner I'll need to replicate it. The clerk cleared his throat and looked at the phone, turning it in his hand, admiring the screen and the glass, looking back and forth between it and Yoongi.

Clerk: What's your story, huh?

Me: Excuse me?

Clerk: Insecure? Think your husband is doing something illegal? Cheating? I promise you, every woman that comes through this door walks out with information they didn't want to know.

Me: ...Can you just...do what I asked?

Clerk: That'll be three hundred. And it'll be ready for you in the morning

Me: Do it now.

Clerk: I have other work to do now. You will get it back tomorrow.

Me: I'm not waiting for tomorrow. Do. It. Now.

Clerk: If you want it done down, you need to pay an extra-

I slammed another two hundred on the counter and glared. Behind me, Yoongi undid a lollipop wrapper, and calmly put down batteries and his own money to pay for them too. Just like that, he had the clerk's attention again. Looking at Yoongi with hearts in his eyes.

Me: You wanna buy him dinner or something? Sync the fucking phone!

Yoongi: *mumbling* Damn.

He leaned on the counter, smiling as the clerk looked down at the phones and went to work, and rang up Yoongi's batteries, giving him the bag with a shaking hand. It didn't take as long as you think it would after being told to pick it up tomorrow, but once I had the phone in my hand, I was back out the door as usual.

The two burners were in perfect sync. Like clockwork. Every message that went to Joohyun came into mine too. There were a bunch, clouding and rumbling both phones in notifications, echoing off the cup holders in Yoongi's car.

Yoongi: Holy shit, who the fuck-?

Me: Who do you think? It's Sungwoo.

Yoongi: What's he saying?

Me: They've been talking about J. And Hwan.

Yoongi: What? They don't know he's dead?

Me: No. But they're concerned that he's flipped. I have to give them a reason to think otherwise.

Yoongi: *chuckling*

Me: What?

Yoongi: You're fucking living for this, Robin.

Me: You make it sound like a bad thing.

Yoongi: I know. But remember I warned you. Don't boohoo cry when your scary boyfriend puts a bullet in both of their eyes

He pulled up in the parking spot that he was parking in before, switching the gears of the car before tossing the stick of his lollipop out of the window.