105

- Soyeon's POV -

Me: *crying* W-Why...did...you...is he...?

Namjoon: Shh. Calm down.

Me: *crying* But you...he...

Namjoon: Soyeon. Look at me.

Me: ...

Namjoon: He will never be able to hurt you again.

Me: *sniffing* Please, don't make me watch something like that again.

Namjoon: Okay. Okay. I won't. Just breathe.

Me: Where are you going?

Namjoon: I'll be right back.

My hands couldn't stop shaking. Hearing death and seeing death, two very different things. If I had heard that Ji-Tae was dead, I would be able to brush it off. Like my dad. No sympathy. No second guessing.

But when you see it happen. When you see the beating they endure and the life just leaves their eyes. Whatever they did to you beforehand doesn't seem to matter. Their physical pain becomes your emotional pain.

And Yoongi and Namjoon. One called the order and the other took it. The look on his face, like he was enjoying every second of Ji-Tae's suffering. Just watching Yoongi snap his neck without batting an eye.

I'm sitting here in the bed of the most dangerous man in Sodol.

How does one do that? Take a life and come back to someone as if nothing happened. As if there isn't a body laying down in some dark, bootleg batcave.

As it turns out, there is a floor below the penthouse. Right below it. It's closed off from the rest of the hotel, only accessible through the back elevator like the penthouse. It's built like the rest of the floors with multiple suites and crawling with Namjoon's goons and maids.

They were armed and loaded. Walking around with huge guns that you need both hands to carry. Namjoon walked me down to room 2203, the room in the far back. And inside was glamorous.

Namjoon: Alright

Namjoon: Alright. This is your room.

Me: You prepared this?

Namjoon: I had a few people get it ready throughout today, yes. Over here.

Me: What's all of this?

Namjoon: I'll explain if you sit.

Me: Okay.

Namjoon: New wallet. Has your new driver's license in there with your new identity.

Me: I am now...Kang Taehee.

Namjoon: Mhm. The silver card is a hotel key. It only works for the back door and elevator. Never come in through the front.

Me: Okay...

Namjoon: Here, this is your uniform. I got you a job at Elite. You're going to be waitressing Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays. Paid on the hour and tips.

Me: Elite? The nightclub? How did you get me a job there?

Namjoon: It's my night club. And you answer to Taehee during office hours.

Me: Okay.

Namjoon: These are your new phones. IPhone for personal use, Samsaung for work. Both of my numbers are in both of them.

Me: Work? Oh. Nevermind.

Namjoon: *laughing* You got it?

Me: Yeah. I got it.

Namjoon: In the bathroom over there you're going to find your Valium prescription. Take those once a day, after breakfast is recommended.

Me: Okay.

Namjoon: And these.

Me: I don't want those.

Namjoon: I don't care if you do.

Me: No. I'm not using those guns.

Namjoon: You need to protect yourself.

Me: Namjoon, please. I don't want a gun.

Namjoon: You need two. One to keep on you, one under your mattress.

Me: Namjoon. No. Please don't make me.

Namjoon: You have to carry.

Me: *breaking* I don't want to!

I didn't mean or want to, not in front of him, but I did. My voice trailed off and a few tears fell down my cheeks. I turned my head away from him, trying to pull myself together. He placed a hand on my thigh. The other hand tilted my chin back towards him and wiped my cheeks with his thumb.

I...can't articulate it. It just calms me, his hands. It slows down my hyper heartbeats and breathing. But I still reject it. I pushed them away and curled my knees to my chin.

Namjoon: How about a knife?

Me: What?

Namjoon: A pocket knife. Will you carry that?

Me: *nodding*

Namjoon: Okay?

Me: Okay.

Namjoon: I'll still put a gun under the mattress, but you don't have to touch it if you don't want to. Just a precaution.

Me: Okay.

Namjoon: Okay.

Me: ...

Namjoon: Um, if you need anything ever, I'm right upstairs. Remember, use the silver key.

Me: okay...you're leaving?

Namjoon: Yes. I have a meeting in a few hours. I need to get ready for it.

Me: Oh.

Namjoon: If you need anything I'll be upstairs. One more thing.

He left the bedroom side of the suit and to the door. Inside came another guy. Long hair, down to a mullet. Also tall and lanky. His gun was smaller than the rest of the other men and women guarding the floor outside and fit right in his belt.

Namjoon: JJ, this is Soyeon. Soyeon, this is JJ, your driver and muscle. Wherever you're going, he'll escort you. And if he can't, his sister Jalen will. Where is Jaylen?

JJ: The docs.

Me: Do they have to?

JJ: Yes.

Namjoon: Soyeon, do you know why we were shot at the other day? Because you're a liability to YG. You're at large with information about them and their operations. You can spill to me or the cops, the point is that you will still spill.

Me: But I don't know anything.

Namjoon: They don't know that.

Me: This isn't extreme to you?

Namjoon: It is. That's why I'm doing it. Extreme means safe. And safe means alive, yes?

Me: Yes. Okay.

Namjoon: Get some sleep. I'll see you in the morning.

Do you remember when I said I hate vivid dreams about all things? That was a lie. I hate no sleep over everything. It's exhausting and draining. When you're not tired, it's worse. When you're scared and can't close your eyes without flashing back to the worst moments of your life, that's when it hurts.

My screaming. Ji-Tae's screaming. The gunshots firing. The sound of skin connecting with skin through brutal beatings. And then my eyes opened.