Chapter Seven: The Chambers

The trio sat worriedly around Hermione, staring at her in silence as Madam Pomfrey replaced the flowers with fresh ones. Y/N had fallen asleep, his head buried in his arms on the side of Hermione's pillows. He had been exhausted from their trip.

"What's that?" Ron questioned Harry rather loudly, waking Y/N up.

Y/N stirred awake to see Harry with a piece of parchment that had been scrunched up.

"Y/N, Ron. Hermione is more of a genius than I thought. Come on!" Harry exclaimed before running off.

Y/N yawned, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes before following. He lead the other two through the halls before slowing down and reading the page.

"Of the many fearsome beasts that roam our land... none is more deadly than the basilisk. Capable of living for hundreds of years... instant death awaits any who meet this giant serpent's eyes." Harry read out.

"'Spiders flee before it.' This is it. The monster in the Chamber of Secrets is a basilisk. That's why I can hear it speak. It's a snake."

"But if it kills by looking people in eye, why is it no one's dead?" Ron questioned, making a silence fall between the three.

Y/N suddenly jerked up, rummaging through his enchanted pocket to find Hermione's mirror.

"It was indirect." Y/N exclaimed, looking through the mirror.

"Mrs. Norris must have seen it through the puddles. Collin had his camera, Hermione, her mirror."

"I bet you anything she was using it to look around corners in case it came along!" Harry added, finally catching on.

Harry lead them to a lantern, burning brightly to light up the page once more.

"'Spiders flee before it.' It all fits." Harry said.

"How's a basilisk been getting around?" Ron scrunched up his face.

Y/N swore Ron looked older and older, gaining many wrinkles from all the times he did that.

"A dirty, great snake. Someone would have seen it!"

"Granger's answered that too." Y/N mumbled upon seeing her handwriting on the corner of the page.

"Pipes? It's using the plumbing?!" Ron questioned looking around him.

"Remember what Aragog said about that girl 50 years ago?" Harry spoke up.

"She died in a bathroom? What if she never left?"

"Myrtle?" Y/N tilted his head.

"All students are to return to their house dormitories at once." McGonagall's voice rang out through the halls.

"All teachers to the second-floor corridor immediately."

The three instantly ran towards the corridor instead of their own dormitories, sneaking behind the pillars.

"A student has been taken by the monster into the Chamber itself." They overheard McGonagall.

"The students must be sent home. I'm afraid this is the end of Hogwarts."

Y/N furrowed his eyebrows, this can't be the end. Hogwarts felt more like home than his empty manor did.

"So sorry. Dozed off. What have I missed?" Lockhart walked up to the rest of the professors.

"A girl has been snatched by the monster, Lockhart. Your moment has come at last." Snape told him.

"My moment?" Lockhart stuttered.