Chapter Two: Punishment

"You're working hard." Y/N chuckled, leaning his chin onto his hand as he watched Hermione write in her book with amusement.

"You're not." Hermione spoke, not taking her eyes off of her book.

"Why would I when I can watch you instead?" Y/N said with a smile.

"You're never going to beat me then." Hermione teased, finally looking at her boyfriend.

Y/N had a sort of dreamy look on his face, making Hermione giggle.

"Like what you see?"

"No, I was just thinking about how uncute you look." Y/N joked, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"And I'm in a good mood."

"Good morning, children." Umbridge greeted from behind the class with her usual happy face.

"And I'm suddenly in a bad mood." Y/N groaned, laying his head on the table.

Hermione chuckled, holding Y/N's hand under the table as Umbridge walked through the class.

"Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations." Umbridge began.

"O-W-Ls. More commonly known as OWLs. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe."

Umbridge waved her wand to hand out books to the students.

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven." She continued as the books sorted themselves to the students.

"But you'll be pleased to know, from now on... you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic."

Hermione skimmed through the book as soon as she had gotten her copy. She read as Umbridge spoke before shooting her hand up.

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?" Hermione questioned, letting go of Y/N's hand much to his dismay.

"Using spells?" Umbridge asked with a creepy giggle.

"Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"I seem to recall this being a 'Defense Against the Dark Arts' class?" Y/N spoke up as Umbridge made her way to their table.

"Yes, that is correct. You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way." Umbridge answered, not losing her smile.

"So if we were to be attacked and we don't know how to use the spells, you'd still call that risk-free?" Y/N spat out sassily at the overly pink professor.

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class." Umbridge turned her back towards Y/N, walking back to the front of the class.

"What a bitch." Y/N muttered quietly.

Hermione seemed to hear him, kicking his foot under the table.

"You'll get in trouble, Y/N." Hermione warned her boyfriend, taking his hand back into hers to calm him.

Y/N sighed, resting his head on his palm with his arm propped up onto the table.

"It is the view of the Ministry... that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations, which, after all, is what school is all about." 

"Pretty sure school is to prepare us for our futures, Professor Umbit- Umbridge." Y/N sighed.

"Y/N's right. How's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry added, also getting fed up with the new teacher.