Ch-34

The greenhouse was hot and humid.

Li Ying seemed to be begging, but in an instant, the pain took away his emotions. He propped his forehead with his uninjured hand and pressed it tightly.

The breaths were coming one at a time.

Every breath was accompanied by a wheezing sound.

"Your Majesty's body is precious as gold and jade, it is indeed a shame to use a maidservant."

"I will believe you for the time being," Yun Qingci said and smiled. "So you can't do it with women and you went to raise eunuchs, huh?" "

He was talking about the palace slave who combed Li Ying's hair.

"I didn't."

"You didn't. If you didn't, why would you believe him instead of me? He was talking nonsense in front of me and you wanted me to let him go? If a eunuch can ride on my head, what am I doing as the Lord Empress?!"

Li Ying's voice was painful and weak: "In just one year, you killed six palace ladies and expelled a group of dancers. This matter was impeached by the ministers. They said you were lawless, cruel and tyrannical, snake-hearted... Countless people wanted to bring you down. At first your father asked me in court what happened, and I put the blame on the palace people every time. But gradually, he stopped defending you... I could only tell them that the Lord Empress had the right to punish the palace slaves. But there were too many impeachment memorials."

Yun Qingci squeezed his fingers tightly: "What do you mean, put the blame on them? They were in the wrong! Not one of the people I killed was innocent!"

He and Li Ying had been married for two years, everything went well and the palace was in harmony. At that time, he didn't need to interfere at all; Li Ying himself would push away any palace ladies. Then concubines entered the palace and everything changed. Each of the palace ladies felt that they could fly to the top. He put them down one after another, but there were provocations again and again.

Empress Dowager Zhang reminded him that if he did not make an example, he would not be able to sit on that throne at all.

Li Ying took a breath: "I know, but everyone knows that I am generous. In comparison, it seems that you are too cruel, as if I can't control you..."

"I kept telling you to restrain yourself. I dared not use palace ladies anymore. I could only use eunuchs... But you couldn't even tolerate eunuchs. He never showed the slightest attempt to ingratiate himself with me."

"You still don't believe me," Yun Qingci said coldly: "Did he not, or did you not notice?"

Li Ying buried his head in his arms and said with difficulty: "It's not that I didn't believe you. I told you this matter was probably a fraud. Don't you find it strange? You have killed so many people, your reputation is so bad, and there are still people who keep coming to die... I hurried there to keep you from killing him and to keep a living mouth to find out who is muddying the water. But you thought I was there for him, everything that I said was just to protect him..."

"Ah Ci, it was never that I didn't believe you, but that you didn't believe me."

The greenhouse was silent. Yun Qingci looked down for a while and said, "You are the only sober one in the whole world, and I am the one being used. So what did you do when you were sober? You thought someone was muddying the water. But I didn't see it. I only saw you ignoring me, scolding me, treating me superficially, coaxing me... You knew that my heart was full of you, why didn't you tell me clearly?"

"I couldn't say..." Li Ying said: "I could only remind you not to associate with the Empress Dowager. I couldn't put all the sins on her head without conclusive evidence."