Nine

Juniper's feet padded against the hard wood floor, the men gathered at a large table all glanced up.

The blue haired woman's gaze was steely,  Seraphina holding tightly to her arm behind her.

"Juniper," Raphael grunted. He nodded his head for her to come closer, he pulled a chair out for her.

Juniper was eyeing him suspiciously but Warren came up to give her a tight hug. He told her how he was glad she was okay.

The woman nodded gratefully all while keeping eye contact with the irritated berserker staring at them.

Slowly she left his arms and sat reluctantly besides her mate.

"We need to figure this out," Raphael husked out. Everyone took seats around them, Juniper toyed with the boxers she was wearing.

"Any information you can give me would help," Raphael's words were strained. Phoenix had drilled it into his brain that he had to be gentle with her. Phoenix spoke about how she was scared.

But when Raphael thought of Juniper, gentle and scared were not words that's came to mind.

She side eyed him, "I have people trying to kill me. They're just too stupid to do it right." Her tone was casual, her manicured nails began tapping the wood of the table.

Both of her friends slapped a hand over their face.

"I know that part," Raphael leaned closer. He was hoping to use the bond to his advantage, she would give him more information if she was comfortable.

Rolling her gray eyes, she grit her teeth before finally taking a deep breath.

"A couple months ago, I was traveling. I have been for a few years. I was in a shop, it was small and pretty remote. I just needed some supplies to last me a day trip, herbs for a cold or something stupid like that-" Juniper looked to see Raphael and everyone else listening intently.

"This witch, the fucking cunt-" They watched her clench her fists. Frustrated tears gathered at her eyes, Raphael felt his chest tighten and his fingers twitch.

"She was the type of witch to see the future in visions. I didn't know that at the time. She was nosy too, acted nice to get close enough to touch my shoulder. That's how she'd see someone's future, skin contact. She saw something she didn't like. That night my campsite was raided by a whole coven of witches. Got pretty close to killing me, luckily I'm hard to catch in the night."

Her cloudy eyes glanced at Raphael under her lashes, she turned her body to face him completely. Lifting the shirt she borrowed, a long scar marred her dark skin, she bared it all to her mate. The skin was smooth and otherwise flawless expect a long scar running from one hip to the other.

"Tried to gut me, ain't that a bitch?" she huffed quietly. A traitorous tear slid down her supple cheek.

Juniper visibly flinched when Raphael reached to wipe it, it didn't stop him as ran his thumb over the streak.

"They haven't stopped ever since. This place was my last resort."

The room was quiet.

"So, Mr. Saint," Juniper drawled tiredly, taking a deep breath as she gained back her composure. "What's my next move? Since you're in charge apparently," she mocked with a humorless smirk.

He gave her an unamused look, reaching and gripping the bottom of her chair. He dragged her closer, so her small frame was between his parted legs.

Juniper's breath hitched. Her eyes widening, swallowing to keep her sanity.