Ten

Raphael's eyes snapped open from sleep when he heard something in the house.

His thoughts immediately cut to his mate staying in the room besides him, he sat up quickly and darted to check on her.

When he saw no one in the large bed, his loud steps shook the house down the stairs.

He turned into the kitchen and Juniper's head popped up from the fridge wide eyed.

Bear laid at her feet.

Raphael released a breath, "What the hell are you doing up?" He rubbed his brow, he was completely foreign to be sharing a home with someone.

"Shadow demons are naturally nocturnal," Juniper rolled her eyes as if it was obvious.

He frowned at her and she frowned back.

"I got used to sleeping at night at a young age but while I was traveling it was safer to sleep during the day," she grabbed a yogurt.

Raphael nodded while watching her sit on one of the stools at the counter. Because the house was built for him, even her height of around 5'7 wasn't tall enough so sit on it without hopping.

"Did I wake you up?" Juniper asked while licking her spoon.

Raphael shrugged and walked to lean on the opposite end of the counter, looking over her.

The two sat in silence for a few moments, "Do you not like me being here?"

He was a little caught off guard by the question, but he supposes standing and watching her eat in the middle of the night sent mixed signals.

"I don't mind it."

She hummed while looking at him in the dimly lit kitchen.

"I don't want to get in the way while I'm here. Just keep me in the loop on what you need me to do," Juniper ran her finger over the counter. "I have to figure out my next move."

Raphael frowned in thought but slowly nodded.

"Alright."

Juniper glanced up at him once before standing to clean up her mess. "I'm going to bed now, sorry for waking you up."

Raphael shook his head, waving it off while resting his elbows against the counter. He ran his hands over his eyes as he heard her walk up to his bedroom.

~

The next week Juniper didn't see Raphael.

At all. She saw him in passing the first few days but he was dismissive, practically running out the nearest exit after day three.

The last time they had an actual conversation he said he wanted her to stay hidden as much as possible. So they could use her 'death' to their advantage. Juniper agreed, unaware it would be the last fucking time he'd actually acknowledge her.

She wasn't sure what she expected after the conversation about their mateship but it certainly wasn't no contact for seven days.

She was currently cleaning the kitchen, she scoffed to herself. As if she was his bitch.

The thought made her threw her towel down, "What the hell am I doing?" She grumbled quietly.

He was letting her stay here, but she didn't exactly ask to be stuck in the house. While he roamed around as he pleased.

She knew she shouldn't go out in public so
others wouldn't be able to confirm whether she was alive or dead but at the moment she was going stir crazy.