Twenty Three

A dry throat and the demand for chilled water from the refrigerator interrupted Lisa's peaceful sleep in the middle of the night.

Slowly, the light brown-haired girl opened her tired eyes to look around but all she saw was black. The whole room of Rosé was filled with nightly darkness.

Lisa wasn't aware at first exactly why she woke up now, but as soon as she felt the dry scratching in her throat, she knew.

Briefly and carefully, so as not to wake her, Lisa leaned over Rosé to check the time on her cell phone. 4:12AM.

Since Lisa didn't plan to die of thirst here, there was only one way to leave the cozy bed and go to the kitchen downstairs.

But even as the light brown-haired leaned more over her girlfriend to get out of bed, a small hum from Rosé was audible.

Lisa thought for a moment that she had woken the sleeping beauty, but Rosé's eyes remained firmly closed as she buried herself a little more in the pillow.

Next try.

With all caution, Lisa lifted her body over the Rosé's and reached the wooden floor of the room first with her right foot and then with her left.

Surprisingly, this wood top did not creak the way conventional ones do.

Quietly and slowly, Lisa pulled open the door of the room and closed it again after stepping out into the corridor.

Lisa "fought" her way through the darkness of the Park house and found her way safely and without stumbling to the end of the stairs.

The kitchen was not far from the said end of the stairs. With a few silent, creeping steps, the thai found her way into the kitchen, where the chilled water in the refrigerator was already waiting for her.

The light that went on in the refrigerator as soon as the light brown-haired girl opened it, almost blinded her, because her eyes were used to the black of the night.

But when Lisa's pupils adjusted to the cold white light, she reached for the plastic water bottle with her hand. In addition, the light brown-haired girl took a coaster and a glass from the kitchen cabinet. Even without light, Lisa managed not to overcrowd the glass.

She put the bottle back where it belonged in the refrigerator.

But before she would stand here in the kitchen on the cold floor, Lisa decided to take her coaster and her glass with her and sit on the couch until she had finished her drink.

She placed the coaster and the glass on the small coffee table while resting her elbows on her thighs and briefly rubbing her tired eyes with her hands.

But shortly after the rubbing of the eyes was finished, a voice sounded from the stairs, which was behind the couch and therefore also behind Lisa. "Good morning"

With a slight wince from the shock of hearing a voice in the middle of the night, Lisa turned her light brown-haired head back.

"I thought I heard something down here" continued the person who turned out to be Alice, Rosé's sister, as she took more steps toward the kitchen.

Before Lisa, who by now had become a bit shy since she knew Alice didn't like her very much, could answer, Alice turned on a small light in the kitchen and spoke as she opened the refrigerator "What are you doing down here at 4am?"

But Lisa could tell by the tone in Alice's voice that the brown-haired, older one didn't sound angry or judgmental. Rather, she sounded genuinely puzzled, or rather curious.

"I was thirsty" Lisa spoke briefly, taking her eyes off her girlfriend's sister for a moment. Looking back, she returned the question to Alice. "And you?"