Countdown

He kissed me.

My mind kept replying over the events that had happened on repeat. I slightly brought my fingers to my lips and sighed.

"I need to get a hold of myself," I mumble aloud.

It was my last day with them, and then it would be official that my everyday life was coming to an end.

I was dreading heading back to my room. The Kings seemed so eager to hit each other buttons that it became rather intimidating how I would be able to handle it.

Here it goes.

When I entered, the kings seemed to be engaged in a conversation with language I was not accustomed to yet.

"Hey," I say, heading towards the spot next to Marcus.

"Hello," Marcus replied, giving me a soft smile.

"My dear, do you have any ideas about what you may want to do today?" Aro spoke.

I took a minute to respond. I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do. It was the start of spring break, which meant there would be more of a likely hold of someone noticing me with the kings. Personally, I wasn't in the mood to develop an explanation if I got caught with them.

"How about we just stay here, maybe get to know each other more?" I reply. "There's not much to do in Forks anyways," I quickly add.

We ended up talking about small trivial things. I made my best attempt to skip around any supernatural topic, but that didn't stop my mind from shifting to it. It wasn't that I was intrigued by the existence of vampires. Instead, my mundane life was on my mind and how to maintain it.

"What made you want to become kings?" I abruptly questioned.

Caius lifted his right brow in response to my question, promptly looking at Aro.

"Making sure the existence of our kind was the most important. Ensuring this meant having complete control over vampires." Caius spoke out in an authoritative voice.

I felt like the response was generic. That there was more to the answer than what I would get.

" What caused this question to pop up," Aro spoke, pausing from looking over an old yearbook I gave him.

"I don't know. The idea of ruling sounds stressful," I said slowly, unsure if I was using the right words for it.

"It undoubtedly becomes boring," Marcus adds with an unneeded sigh.

I couldn't help but smirk at his response.

"There are times that it may be stressful, but it is fleeting. Every ruling is different, never the same. It's up to the Volturi to make the right decision that could affect our kind and the human race." Aro spoke earnestly, shooting Marcus an unimpressed look.

Marcus brushed it off, moving his attention towards playing with strands of my hair. The action seemed to piss off Aro, but he shifted his attention toward me.

"You will easily settle in your role as queen, Cara mia." Seeming sure of himself.

"Right," I said tensely.

" You will learn everything you need to know," Caius said dismissively.

"Thanks, I feel so much better," giving Caius a fake smile.

Caius shoots me a look before walking towards the window.

"It seems your cousin is home."

"So she decided to come back home," I mumble.

Aro lets out a sigh and walks toward me. "It is about time to depart," grasping my hands.

"Since we will be leaving, the guard is coming with us—"

"Permentanlty," I interrupted, wondering if they had come to their senses.

Aro gave me an unamused look, "The guards will be back soon," refusing to provide me with any more details.

I slightly narrow my eyes at him. Aro's cryptic response made me wonder if he thought I would do something reckless.

"Until then, Alice has happily volunteered to spend time with you."

"I don't need a babysitter," I said bluntly.

"Be as that may, Alice is already on her way." Switching the subject to me.

How about sending her back?

I decided to hold my tongue and glare at Aro in response which seemed only to amuse him. Then, suddenly, Aro's demeanor changed before I felt Aro brush his fingers against my cheek.

"If you wish to come to Italy earlier, don't hesitate," He says.

"Maybe, but don't get your hopes up," I tell him with a soft smile.

I don't know where I had the courage. Maybe it was because Aro would be gone for a while. Whatever the reason was, it caused me to softly pull at Aro's shoulders, guiding him to a kiss.

"Goodbye, cara mia," Aro replies as he departs from my lips.

Marcus walked towards me, smiling at me.

"I'll make sure to call you."

"I hope so," laughing a bit.

Marcus places his hands on my hips and gives me a swift kiss.

" I think I can wait for more." he softly mumbles against my cheek.

I grew flustered at Marcus's words. As much as I enjoyed Aro's and Marcus's intimate interactions with me, I always became flustered from it. Lastly, I turned to see Caius with an unreadable expression on his face.

I stepped toward him, breaking his personal space. I opened my mouth to speak but quickly closed it.

I watch as Caius's mouth forms a smirk from my hesitation. Then, Caius closed the space between us and placed his hand on my chin, tilting it up.

"Maybe your painting will improve when we meet again."

I narrow my eyes and let a sigh escape my mouth. "Arent you just sweet," I mutter out.

Caius clicks his tongue before dipping his head for his lips to brush mine.

" Solo tu puoi dire tali parole, amore," he mumbles before pressing his lips on mine.

Caius held our kiss a bit longer than the others. The familiar rhythm he introduced to me with our first kiss resurfaced. Once I managed to step back, it dawned on me that I kissed all of them. Marcus noticed my shift of emotions and gave me a relaxed smile.

"It'll take time. Until then, tesora," He said. Then, heading by the window, he gives me a short nod and leaves.

"I'll see you soon, mia cara," Aro said with enthusiasm, but his face held a different story.

Caius was the last one left. His ruby eyes seemed to hold more intensity than usual. I couldn't figure out why he seemed so guarded.

"The Cullens are beneath you, Madeline," Caius spoke out finally.

His words reminded me of the confession I told him. I gave him a soft smile and nodded my head.

"Enjoy the bit of time you have left, amore," Caius tells me earnestly.

Caius never gave me a chance to respond before he disappeared from my room. I was only left with the grave reminder that my time was limited. The clock was ticking, and I could do nothing about it.