Chocolate Chip Cookies

"Are you planning on staying silent the whole ride?"

    I snap my head towards Paul. He was currently driving us to La Push. " Is there anything to say?"

    There was much to say. I could bring up the current knowledge of supernatural beings, but I am sure that was old news now. I could talk about how Jasper was ready to slaughter the whole restaurant, but I was convinced that was soon.

    "Everything is going to be okay," Paul reaffirms.

    "Right," I tell him, drawing out my answer.

    La Push wasn't too far off, now it. It would only take a couple of minutes to arrive. I knew I would have to speak soon, whether my social battery was drained.

    "Have I ever led you astray?" Paul responds, giving me a quick glance.

    "I don't think your record would prove anything but that," I reply. My poker face slipped into a frown.

    Paul and I have been friends ever since we were kids. I always found it funny that my mom was old friends with his dad. So when his dad took him to La Push, I was ecstatic about the possibility of not being a third wheel with Jacob and Embry. Whenever Jacob convinced Embry to go with him, Paul never left. Thinking more on it, I always found it strange how people never pressured Paul and me in a relationship.

    "What are you thinking about?" Paul's voice broke my train of thoughts.

    "Our friendship," I reply with a sigh.

    Paul took a moment to respond, making a turn on the road. "Why's that?"

    "Why do you insist on avoiding the subject," I asked, letting the wave of emotions come up.

    Paul's jaw clenched " What is there to talk about?"

    "The fact I'm going to be like the queen of vampires, and you don't want to talk about it," I exclaimed. His statement was almost comical.

    "I can't change it, so why focus on it," Paul snapped.

    I felt my throat tighten, "So that's it,"

    "That's it," Paul said in a heavy tone.

    "No, tell me why. You hate vampires but are okay throwing me into this mess."

    Paul abruptly slams on the break pulling to the side of the road.

    "If I could, I would drive us far away from here Mads," Paul said with his head rested on the wheel.

    "Hell, the idea of leaving this life." He whispered out.

    Paul lifts his head from the steering wheel to meet my eyes. "When Sam gives an order, I follow.

    "Paul-" I start up, attempting to speak.

    "Let me finish. We can't fight the Volturi. Sam doesn't think it's worth the risk. Sam's the alpha when he commands something we follow.

    "Just like that?" I asked, not believing the recent information.

    "Just like that."

    I scoff at Paul's response. He's never been one to listen. I knew Paul was getting awfully close to Sam, but I thought it was just Jacob over-dramatizing his story. Jacob might have been right this time.

    "I was ordered not to by Sam." Embry's voice came rushing through.

    Pauls's excuse reminded me of Embry's back in the forest. But, of course, every strange behavior is because of Sam.