Wager

"I see," Aro sighs after reading the note the female servant delivered.

The human servant stood nervously in front of the kings. She was gripping the sliver tray tightly in her hands.

"What is it, brother? Speak," Caius snaps harshly.

The tension in the room was thick as Marcus and Caius sat on their thrones. Aro took time with the letter as if he had difficulty reading it.

"Our mate has left the guards supervision-"

"How dare they-" Caius begins to interrupt.

Aro raises his hand and shoots him a look. "There was an altercation at the Cullens. As a result, she now knows about our wives. For this reason, Madeline has wished to put a hold on our relationship," Aro reveals.

"When was this," Marcus spoke, straightening his posture.

"Two days ago."

"Why do we know this now?" Caius questions, not hiding his agitation.

"We will get all the necessary answers, but we have a decision to make." Aro begins, turning to face Marcus and Caius.

"There is a newborn army growing in Seattle, and though our mate is away from the guards, she isn't anywhere near Seattle," Aro explains slowly.

"We should bring her here immediately. Madeline is still our mate," Marcus speaks up, gripping his throne.

"So we can look desperate? Leave her. She can come to us," Caius snapped, focusing on the human servant quivering.

"You would risk our mate's safety-"

"She'll be back in a week, brother," Caius interrupts with a wave of his hand.

"Aro, what do you think," Marcus asks abruptly.

Aro doesn't speak up. Instead, he stands frozen, letting whatever thoughts plague his mind. Aro reads the letter once more, clicking his tongue in the process.

"Hmm, Madeline is hurt. Let us give her time to come to us." Aro asserts.

Marcus becomes silent. His face pinched in concentration. "I hope you are right, brothers." He replies solemnly.

"I give it a week, brother, Caius reassures, speeding towards the human messenger. "Until then, we have some clean-up to do." Caius finished snapping the messenger's neck in the process.