Pain

I couldn't take a look at Mr. Jacobsen's eyes anymore. Taking a shaky hand, I brushed his eyelids down. I hoped this would make him look like he was sleeping, but my bloody hand left a reminder smeared on his face.

"Madi." a voice called.

I snap to see Edward standing in the same place he left us. The sight of Edward made my perspective tinted red. He should be far out of my sight. He wasn't of any help. Mr.Jacobsen was dead because of him.

"I understand why you're mad, Madi," Edward said slowly.

"Get out of my head," I snapped with a glare.

My eyes shifted to Carlise walking forward. His eyes linger on Mr. Jacobsen's body before moving his gaze to me.

"Stop," I said, gritting my teeth.

" Madeline, let us help you," Edward said calmly.

"I could've used your help a couple of minutes ago," I said bitterly.

I still haven't moved Mr. Jacobsen's body off of me. I knew he was dead. I understood that there wasn't a way to save him, but I couldn't leave him from my sight. I needed us to be safe.

"You've been through a lot of trauma. Being out here like this will get you sick." Carlisle voiced out, getting even closer to me.

"Do you think the Volturi will give me your heads?" I spat, causing Carlisle to seize his movements.

Of course, he stopped. The Cullens wanted to live, and so did Mr.Jacobsen. He had a son that went to school with me.

"Madeline, we couldn't turn him even if we wanted; the treaty wouldn't allow it," Carlisle said carefully.

"And here he is mutilated, " I say harshly.

Mr.Jacobsen had claw marks from his shoulder heading all the way down to his stomach. His mangled leg caused bile to collect in my mouth. I was pretty sure I could see a shard of bone sticking out.

This shouldn't have happened. This could've been prevented. I should've just stayed with Embry. Hell, I should've stayed home.

"Let us help you," Carlisle's voice broke out, taking another step forward.

"If you don't leave me alone, I will kill you." I snapped, staring into his eyes.

Carlisle's eyes were filled with emotions. There was no fear in them from my threat. Instead, they held pain, sympathy, and concern; It pissed me off.

Carlisle gives a soft nod and pulls back. " We'll check on you."

I didn't give an answer back. Me being safe ensured The Cullen's protection from the Volturi. They didn't do it out of the kindness of their heart. They did it for themselves.

Rain drops started to fall, hitting the splotches of dried-up blood on my arm. "I'm sorry," I whispered to Mr.Jacobsen.

He was dead because of me. I should've stayed back and convinced Mr.Jacobsen that everything was fine. I could have done so many things to prevent this.

"Pathetic," I whisper out, letting the tears fall out.

Many could have stopped this. Embry could've prevented this. Even Alice could have. She was a psychic. How did Alice not have foreseen this? She prided herself on her gift, but she couldn't see the death of someone's father.

Lastly, there was Edward. He could have changed Mr.Jacobsen. He could at least give him a chance to start anew. Yet Edward wouldn't even consider it. All because of some shitty treaty.

"Madeline," Jane's stern voice spoke.

"Madeline, are you hurt?"

My lack of response caused the guard to wait in silence. I could feel their peering eyes burning holes behind my back. Assisting the scene in front of them. I was partially glad they hadn't pulled me away or said anything.

The rain started to drop more quickly, letting the blood wash from his forehead.

"Jane," Carlisle spoke out.

What was going to happen to Jacobsen's body? Would they call it an animal attack? That would be an easy solution if I didn't move his body from the scene.

"What happened here," Jane's voice edged.

" We're not sure." Carlise began to start.

"Madeline was in La Push. There was some sort of altercation involving this man." Edward speaks up.

"Go away," I mumbled. My throat was hoarse, and I could feel my body wanting to crash.

Edward was one of the last people I wanted to hear. His voice scratched my ears, reminding me how similar it was when I begged him to help.

"It seems that the Cullens have no respect for their Kings," Alec spoke darkly.

"I agree, Brother," Jane replied, taking a closer step toward me.

"Of course we do. I view the kings as very close friends of mine," Carlisle said respectfully.

"Yet here is their mate." Alec snapped back.

"The Kings will hear about this. Madeline, let's go," Jane spoke, putting an ice-cold hand on my shoulder.

" She ditched Alice and Jasper. We couldn't follow." Edward sputtered.

Was he serious? I ditched after Jasper was ready to slaughter a whole restaurant. Edward's remarks were unneeded, useless. Every time he opened his mouth, it was carefully constructed to blame.

"I told you to shut up!" I yelled out, lifting my head to glare at him. Jane must have read my mind since Edward fell down screaming.

I watched Edward move around stiffly. Then, observing closer, Edward's face was no longer devoid of emotions. Instead, he looked weak, vulnerable, and helpless; it was perfect.

" Don't stop," I whispered. As I kept my eyes focused on Edward's form.

"Jane," Carlise pleaded as Edward's yells grew louder.

I wanted him to feel the worst pain he could. I desired to wipe his conviction. Make him regret not helping me. I continue to watch Edward's body begin to form lines throughout his body. Reminding me of cracked porcelain.

Jane's hand left my shoulder, making me snap out of my thoughts. Edwards's screaming seized, and the cracks paused. Edward stayed lying on the ground, waiting for the cracks to heal.

"Clean up this mess." Jane orders sending shivers down my back.

"Felix." She simply said, stepping away from me.

Felix gave her a nod and walked toward me. Giving me an unreadable expression. I quickly glance at Jacobsen's form before releasing a sigh. We needed to clean this mess up. The sooner we do this, the faster his family can know.

"Let's go, my Queen," Felix said, stretching his hand out.