68. Hospital

It's been almost fifteen minutes and there was no sign of Aurora

It's been almost fifteen minutes and there was no sign of Aurora. I was starting to get a little restless and didn't want to wait any longer. As I was contemplating where Aurora could be, Veronica arrived. She was the last person I wanted to see now.

"Why are you standing all alone, where is your date? Did she ditch you or something?"
I was in no mood to answer her retort, so I rolled my eyes and looked away. She didn't take the hint and stood there looking at me with a knowing smile, it pushed me over my limit and I yelled at her to mind her own business and started to walk away. To my abject shock she grabbed my hand and stopped me before saying "Aurora isn't going to come back, so deal with it!".

This statement made me wonder why she was acting so sure and my suspicions regarding any foul play from Veronica's side grew by the passing second.
I already had the knowledge that Veronica didn't like Aurora, but just to be sure I decided to coax the truth out of her.
"Why are you so sure about it?" I asked her trying to put on my cheekiest face to get under her skin.

"I am so sure because I overheard her conversation with someone saying that she was only using you for fun and didn't really care about you. I just came here to do my duty as a good friend" Veronica said and put her arm on my shoulder and rubbed it a little.
"Veronica trust me if I find out you were behind any mischief I will..."
But before I could finish my warning, she cut me off and said "Ohh Giovanni, you always think I am the one in the wrong always. Trust me its not my fault this time around."

Although she was doing a great job of changing my mind I was not ready to believe Aurora would play such a disgusting game with me.
I removed her hands from my shoulder, which were trying to comfort me and walked out of the room.

I tried to call Aurora's phone multiple times, yet I was unable to reach her.
As I was about to try her number one more time, I saw Emilia approach me.

"Giovanni what sup? I saw you argue with Veronica, is everything okay?" she enquired.
"Please find your best friend, she went to the washroom long time ago and now she isn't even taking my calls." I told her exasperatedly.
"If she went to the bathroom, lets look for her there". She replied in a rather nonchalant manner. I agreed because that was the only logical option that made any sense at the moment.

As we reached the ladies restroom, a strange sight waited for us. The ladies restroom was locked and in front of it stood a "under maintenance" board.
It seemed fishy to both of us that the restroom would be shut down when a big event like fresher's party was in full swing.
After contemplating for a few seconds, it was mutually agreed to get rid of the board and further investigate.

I had opened the door and was about to step in when Emilia stopped me, since it was the ladies room its better she inspects the place to avoid creating any ruckus.

No sooner had Emilia left to inspect that I heard her scream. I rushed to investigate and the scene shook me to the core.
Emilia was leaning over an unconscious figure. That figure was no one else but my precious Aurora. I rushed to check her pulse and sighed a relief when I felt one.
I carried Aurora and Emilia followed me quickly to the parking lot.
As we were walking through the venue, Luca saw us and after realising what was happening followed us.

Once in the car, I sat in the backseat holding the unconscious Aurora with Luca, as Emilia took the wheels.
Aurora's body was cold and it made me panic and I tried to wake her up repeatedly, screaming and shaking her in the process.
Emilia tried to calm me down and said "Giovanni relax, she is claustrophobic and must have suffered a panic attack in the washroom"

This made me think how could she lock herself in the washroom. I thought about this for a few more minutes and suddenly I had a Eureka moment!

I remembered the conversation I had with Veronica. My suspicions were at their peak, but I tried not to pursue that line of thinking. Veronica might be evil, but she would never stoop to such level.
After getting Aurora admitted, Emilia called Adriano and told him about the situation. After a few minutes which seemed like eternity the doctor stepped out.
"She is out of danger, you guys brought her in the nick of time. A little later would have complicated the matters" The doctor said and hearing his words the collective of us breathed a sigh of relief.

One only realises the value of things when its so close to being lost forever and this sentiment was holding so true for me at that moment. I made a silent promise to myself, to find the culprit and punish them appropriately for their heinous deeds. Whoever it might be, I won't let them escape.
Adriano arrived soon after, his face was pale as if he had seen a ghost on the way. He enquired about Aurora and Emilia gave him the update. Only after he had heard the news did he calm down and sat beside me, waiting patiently for Aurora to open her eyes.

My brain was far away from the hospital, constantly thinking of how and who put Aurora in this situation. Seeing me tense Adriano enquired and I proceeded to narrate the events of the evening from the start.
After hearing my tale, doubt started creeping up on Adriano's face. I don't know if seeing his sister lying unconscious on a hospital bed was influencing his judgement or it was his gut feeling, but there was serious concern on his face.
After thinking for a few minutes, he replied "I agree with you, this incident was orchestrated by some external forces"

In the meanwhile, Lorenzo and Leonardo arrived at the hospital.
Everything seemed normal until that point, it was just friends and family gathered because they were concerned about Aurora, but the next arrival would leave everyone confused. That person was none other than Veronica. I asked her what she was doing her and she replied that her friends had informed her about Aurora being rushed to the hospital, so she thought it would be the right thing to go and visit her.

I smirked at her and said sarcastically "since when did you become Aurora's "friend", last time I checked you thought of her as a competitor." She countered my allegations by saying that although she hated Aurora, she still wanted to support her in a life-threatening situation.
I taunted her and said that was she here because of the guilt trip. She didn't respond and I continued to probe her.
"Please tell me what went wrong between the two of you.

I can check the CCTV footage and if I saw you anywhere near the ladies washroom during the time Aurora went inside, the situation wont be pretty for you. If there is anything come clean right now".
"What will you see in the footage?, all the CCTV'S are broken" Veronica said confidently, unbeknownst to her she had spilled the beans.
I pressed her on this folly and said that were the cameras broken or you made sure they wont function during the event. Although I had figured out what must have concurred, I still wanted a confession.
Veronica remained quiet but the guilt is clearly visible in her eyes. Finally she breaks and reveals the truth.

"I did it, but I am not a killer. I had no idea she was claustrophobic. I just didn't want her to get back to the dance with you." she said.
This made me absolutely furious and I shoved her. She lost her balance and collapsed on the cold hospital floor.

"Claustrophobic or not, you have no rights to lock her in the bathroom. Stop bullying Aurora and move on withy our life. You are obsessed with me and leave no stone unturned to come in between the both of us. Please stop this madness. Karma is a bitch and you will get in return what you made poor Aurora go through" I screamed at her.
Adriano is also angered by the confession and he joins me. "This time you have really crossed your limits by trying to hurt my little sister so badly. Just wait and watch how I will make your family pay for this." He screamed at her.

There is a sense of shock on Veronica's face after learning that Aurora is Adriano's sister and she expresses the same in words.
"I will cut all the business ties with the Ricci family" Adriano continued.

"The Romano's also don't want to have anything to do with the Riccis too" Lorenzo chimed in.
"Please go home and inform your father about your follies, I am sure this time around even he wont be able to save you."
Leonardo advices her.

I excused myself to go and check on Aurora, I wanted to take my mind off this situation and control my anger. Veronica has crossed all limits for real this time around and I promised myself to never ever forgive her.