Chapter 1

Summer 2022, the new chapter. The next big adventure of my life. This is the year of big changes, getting my first kiss, road trips and meeting new people.

My best friend Percy and I made a pact when we were eight years old. It clearly stated that we would both have our first kiss over and done with before we turned eighteen, and if we didn't we would have to shave our heads. It was a contract that could not be broken, even if it was almost ten years ago. He already had his, which was pretty easy for him to get considering he was Willow High School's "Golden boy" but to me, he was still the same idiot who got his head stuck in a gate because I told him he had a big head and he wanted to prove me wrong.

This little pact was made as a joke back when we were eight, but as we grew older I started taking it more seriously. I started to notice how people just rush through all these little important things. As if it doesn't matter anymore. I don't want to waste my time with someone if it doesn't mean anything in the end, or just because it was convenient at the moment. I want something real, that movie-type of love. The old-school type of love where the little things still mattered.

It's the last day of school, my leg is anxiously jumping up and down as I wait for the bell to ring. Percy and I have been saving for this trip since we can remember. We're taking a trip down to the coast, leaving behind our small town, and coming back at the end of summer, just in time for our birthdays. Either with a first kiss or shaved head.

"Are you ready for TUFKC?" Percy asked with a cheeky grin.

"The what?" I ask with a raised brow.

"The ultimate first kiss checklist." He replied as if it was obvious. I nod, and my mouth falls open as I comprehend the abbreviation.

The Ultimate First Kiss Checklist:

1. It has to be special.
2. It can't be rushed.
3. The mood needs to be set.
4. It needs to be romantic.
5. It should be unexpected.
6. Lastly, he has to be hot.

"You know your list is ridiculous, right?" Percy says dropping his head onto his hands.

"It isn't," I reply defensively, then quieter "I'm just taking precautions."

A few minutes later the bell rings and we hurry to Percy's truck, climbing in and driving to my house.

We arrive at my house. I get out of his truck and run through the front door straight to my bedroom. I throw my school bag to the ground and grab my bags from the floor, hurrying through the house back into the kitchen where Percy and my parents are already waiting.

"Are you ready?" Percy asks as he walks over and grabs the bags from my hands. I give him a quick nod. "Definitely," I reply. I pull my parents into tight hugs and say a quick bye. "Stay safe, we love you." I hear my mother's voice ring through the house as I shut the front door.

Let's do this!" We shout simultaneously.

I connected my phone to Bluetooth and started playing the road trip playlist I made a few months ago when I couldn't wait anymore. As we drive, ready to start this summer, Simple by Florida Georgia Line plays over the speakers. The past week has been filled with storms. The skies are still grey, but luckily the storms have stopped. The colourful buildings pass us by as we drive through the town. The streets are busy. Everyone hurrying to their cars with packed bags. Getting ready for their summer vacations.

"What's on your mind?" Percy asks. I'm still looking out the window. Watching the last few buildings pass by as we leave. "I- I'm kind of scared." I stutter out, playing with my fingers. "Why?" He asks sincerity clear in his voice. I shrug. "It's something new. New is always kind of scary." I admit, letting out a breath. "New is good! It means you're stepping out of your comfort zone." He replies.

I turn toward him. Watching a smile grow on his face. "Plus your hair will grow back, eventually." He stifles a laugh. "You know what I mean." I look at him, a blank expression on my face. He momentarily turns. His smile instantly drops when he sees my face. "I know, Nat. You'll be fine. You're going to find the right guy and he's going to sweep you off your feet... hopefully." A cheeky smile returns to his face as he takes glances back at me.

"Hey!" I slap his arm lightly.

"I'm kidding." He retaliates.

***

The sky turned a deep purple. Stars litter the atmosphere. I let out a yawn. "I'm exhausted," I exclaim. I watch as the bright lights from motels zoom past us on the highway. I point at a bright red light a couple of hundred meters away. "Maybe we should stop there for the night," I suggest. Percy nods, he exits the highway and turns into the motel parking lot. He leans forward to read the bright red sign on top of the building. "Red's Motel." He turns toward me, "That sounds promising." He sarcastically blurts out making me laugh. I shake my head, "Let's go." I say taking my wallet from the centre console and climbing out. Percy follows close behind, we walk toward the door hanging onto the frame by a single screw. I enter the small office which reeks of cigarettes. The tables seem almost covered in dust. A lady with bleach-blonde hair sits behind the counter, and a bottle of nail polish opens on the countertop.

I walk toward her with a smile plastered on my face out of nervousness, feeling my hand getting sweaty and my heart beating faster, my shyness instantly showing as I stutter out my request. "Hi, we- we would like a room with two beds for the night... please." She looks up tilting her head to look at me under her glasses. "And I'd like a husband who doesn't cheat, but we don't all get what we want." My eyes widen at her response and I turn speechless. "We only have bedrooms with one bed left." Her eyebrow raises.

I look at her in shock, turning towards Percy, I give him a look asking if he is okay with one and he nods. I turn back to the lady taking the room key and paying her.

"Room seventeen is on the second floor." She says quickly before returning to her nails.

We walk out of the office and take the stairs next to the building to the second floor. "I'll just sleep on the couch, don't worry about it," Percy says as I open the door. I turn on the light and walk into a room with; one bed, a small kitchen with a fridge chained to a place on the ground and no couch.

"Or not," Percy says laughing.

"It's fine, we'll justshare the bed," I reply walking through the small room towards the bed andtaking a seat, it instantly lets out a loud squeak of old springs, bouncingwith each move I make. I momentarily close my eyes, feeling the impact of theday rush over me. I feel the bed sink in next to me as Percy takes a seat. "Icannot wait to sit on the beach, with a cool drink in my hand and the wavescrashing on the shore next to me," I say dreamily living in the moment of whatis to come. "You and me, both," Percy replies, his body flopping against thebed making me sway with his movements.