Chapter 21

The first half of the morning was spent with Percy complaining about his face and me telling him that it was his fault. He still hasn't told me why, but I know I'll find out when I need to.

I get my bag from inside the closet and open it. The clothes lay in a messy ball inside the suitcase. Why wasn't I more organised? I take everything out throwing it on the bed "We better start packing we almost have to leave." I say to Percy. He's still lying on the bed holding the wet cloth, which was filled with ice, against his purple bruised cheek. "We still have today and tomorrow. There is plenty of time." I laugh folding the clothing before neatly packing the bag again. "If you say so. Luckily mine is done so I won't have any problems tomorrow finding things."

He lets out a groan "Yeah, yeah. That's tomorrow's problem." He sits upright his eyes close at the motion. "Are you sure you're fine with going to the carnival tonight? He slowly nods his head "Yeah I'll be fine." I look at the clock it's only 5 in the afternoon. The sun is still bright over the ocean and streaming through our window. "We'll probably only go after the sun has set. So all the lights are bright and there are fewer people." I grab the phone seeing a text from Isabella.

Isabella: Hey I think we should probably go at 8 it gives us enough time to do what we want.

Me: Sure thing see you later.

"Okay, Isabella says we'll see them at 8 so we have a little time to chill." Percy lays back down "Fantastic, if you need me I'll be taking a nap." He says throwing the cold towel next to him. I throw my bag onto the ground and take a seat on my bed wondering what I could do with my time. I turn towards the bedside table seeing the copy of the Great Gatsby. I grab it lying down and start reading.

***

The lights turn on the Ferris wheel as we enter the carnival. I hear the music playing and the kids running around. "Isabella." I squeal as I see her at the candy floss stall. "Where's Grayson?" I ask her. "He said he wasn't feeling well. So I came alone, I didn't think it was going to be this busy. They've been here forever and tonight everyone decides to come." She laughs looking around "Oh, okay well I'm glad that you're joining us. It's pretty busy, but the lines don't look that long. What do you want to do first?" I ask "Well first off I want some of that candy floss and then we can look around." She replies making me laugh. "Sounds like a good idea."

I pay for a bucket filled with candy floss and walk next to Isabella through the stalls. "So what's going on with you and Percy?" She asks. I take a piece of candy floss stuffing it into my mouth. "Well nothing mainly, why?" She smiles at me "Well I mean... did you see what happened last night." My brows furrow in confusion. "Yes, but he doesn't want to tell me why he did it." She shakes her head "Well Jackson was talking shit about you and Percy kind of lost it." My eyes grow wide. "What?" She nods her head. "Yeah, Grayson told me last night. Just after you left Jackson's we decided to leave and he told me on the way home."

"I had no idea. Percy told me it was because of the alcohol and things just got too much." Isabella shakes her head. "Nope. That wasn't it." We walk through the last stall. "So when are you going to tell him." I look at her confused. "Tell him what?" She gives me a blank expression. "Natalie I love you, but you can't play dumb with me. I meant when are you going to tell him that you're in love with him?" I shake my head, looking behind us to Percy who just walked over to a stall with corndogs. "I can't do that." I feel my mood sink as I walk. "Listen Natalie I don't know what your problem is. I don't understand why you won't just give it a shot. If I were you I would walk up to him right now and just blurt it right out." I begin to panic. "I can't! What if I lose his friendship?" She stops me. "So you're telling me that you'd rather have him as a friend than anything else?" I nod "I'd rather have him as a friend than lose him as everything." She gives me a sad look "Oh Natalie I know, but that would never happen." I shake my head in frustration "How do you?" She gives me a small smile "I don't, but how would you if you don't try?"