Chapter 24

Natalie's P.O.V

We say our final goodbyes and pack the last bags into the car. I finished the great Gatsby yesterday and Percy laughed at me for being mad. As if he wasn't mad.

"You have my number so I better be invited to your birthday party." Isabella pulls me in for a hug, squeezing me tightly as I giggle. "I promise you're the first person on the list." She gives me a wide smile and I turn to climb into the car. Percy follows and just as I close my door he opens his. "You ready to go back?" I sigh "I don't think so, but we have to."

As we leave the rain slowly makes an appearance until it was pouring down on us. Thunder cracks above us making me smile as I sink deeper into my seat. The radio is playing all the latest hits and I hum along as we finally make our way home.

"Sometimes you scare me," Percy says chuckling. I turn my head towards him "Why?" I ask concerned. He turns to look at me before turning his head back to the road "Well the same girl who was crying about a sunflower temporary tattoo a few days ago just had a crazy smile on her face, because of thunder." I look out the window "It's not my fault it's comforting."

"How? You never wanted to tell me." I rest my chin on my hand still looking out the blurry window "It shows me that even nature has bad days so I don't have to feel bad for having them. It comforts me when I'm sad." I turn to him, his brows are scrunched up as he focuses on the road. "Seems like a logical reason. "Why didn't you ever tell me?" Because you are my thunder when it's not raining "I thought you would laugh at me..." he scoffs "I'd never laugh at you." His words warm my heart. I turn to look out the window again watching as seashell beach falls behind us.

***

We have been driving for a while and now and then we see a small house or café next to the road. I see a gas station up the road and instantly turn to Percy. "Can we stop for coffee?" I ask. "Sure." He turns into the parking lot of the small shop. We quickly get out running into the store. Grabbing some snacks and waiting for our coffee.

"Order number 25." I walk towards the lady who hands me our coffees. I give her a quick thanks as I walk back to Percy. "Hey remember your little bucket list?" We put the things into the car "Yeah, why?" he looks up at the sky. Dancing in the rain. He puts the keys into the ignition puts the radio on full blast and closes his door, he makes his way over to me. He grabs my hand pulling me closer to him then twirls me out before pulling me back in. "Does this count?" I laugh "Percy this is crazy, let's just go." He runs over to his side of the car. "I promise to do it better another time, we don't have the time to do it now." He says.

I pick up my coffee holding it close to me, blushing behind the cup as get back onto the highway. The rain slowly stopped leaving us with wet roads and skies that are slowly becoming blue again as the clouds disappear. "We should probably not tell my parents about the alcohol and the accident at the bar." I put my coffee down as Percy lets out a light chuckle "Oh I thought we were going to lead with that. Just walk straight into the room and give them the good old 'Hey mom and dad I got drunk, drugged and almost kissed my best friend-'He stops. I turn my head to see his wide eyes "I did not almost kiss you..."He turns his head towards me nodding to me with his lips in a tight line. I put my head in my hands "I... when?" He clears his throat "That night you got drunk... I have to say I was flattered." I lift my head "I don't know what to say."

The car is quiet the only thing filling the silence is the radio playing love songs which in my opinion aren't helping at all. "Well, this is awkward." Percy suddenly spoke. "It's not my fault." I laugh "I'm not the one who tried to kiss you was I?" If only... "No, but I wasn't the one who blurted it out. Considering I didn't even know or remember I did that." He sighs "Okay. Let's just forget about it. Okay?" They say drunk words are sober thoughts... "Okay."

***

We drive through the gate of the nearest motel. The paint is peeling off of the walls and there are cracks throughout the whole building, a shattered window and pieces of glass are everywhere. We enter the surprisingly clean motel reception, with not a crack in the walls and the floors shining. "Hey, can we maybe get a room with two beds?" The lady at the counter smiles widely as she hands me a key. "Sure thing just come in and pay when you leave and enjoy your stay." I think this is the nicest receptionist I've ever seen. We walk up the stairs to the room. Entering I see a couch, one bed and a kitchen with a kettle. "She gave us the wrong room. I'll be right back."

I walk back to the lady "I'm sorry. I think you gave us the wrong room." I hand her the key. "Honey, two young kids like you don't come in here asking for two beds so I thought I'd save you the trouble of coming back later." My eyes widen at what she was insinuating "Oh no. We-" I laugh. She gives me a bored expression "Sure, honey! Go and have fun." She cuts me off. I sigh, giving her a smile before going back to the room.

Percy was already passed out on the bed when I returned. I smile at his sleeping state and get in next to him. I close my eyes "Goodnight Percy." I feel the bed move and an arm wrapping around me. I hear his soft snores behind me, moving closer before falling asleep.