Chapter 3

I wake up next to the lake. The cold wind covered my body from the early morning, hearing birds chirp in the trees around me. The sky is a deep blue and there's not a cloud in sight. It was almost perfect, but Grayson was nowhere in sight. I sit up straight. Having a small panic consume me.

Was he mad that I didn't kiss him?

Was this just some prank and I was stupid enough to fall for it?

I should've known better. This never happens to me, why would it happen now and especially with him?

My heart rate picks up and my breathing hitches. This is not the time to have a panic attack, Natalie, just get up and go on. I focus on my breathing remembering the breathing techniques I was taught to deal with this. Laying down again, closing my eyes to calm down.

"Good morning." I hear from behind me, my eyes snap open at his voice.

"Good morning?" I question.

He takes a seat next to me waiting for me to sit upright and hands me a mug of coffee. "I'm sorry I just disappeared, but you were so peaceful I didn't want to disturb you."

I guess not everyone is the same.

I take the coffee, inhaling the amazing aroma that instantly makes me relax.

"What's wrong?" He looks at me concerned.

I freeze for a second not knowing what to say. "Oh, it's nothing."

"No, it isn't nothing. You looked shocked to see me." I look into his golden eyes, mesmerised by the swirls of brown and gold.

I let out a sigh and my heart rate picks up. It's better to just be honest. "I... well I thought you just... left. And weren't coming back."

A small smile plays on his lips "Why would I do that?"

"I don't know, I just thought..." I look down at my cup, the dark liquid swirling with the movement of my cup.

"Hey, look at me." I slowly lift my head, till my gaze meets his. "I would never do that. I might be an ass, but I've been told by a beautiful girl once that I look like a nice person."

"So you were listening?"

"Out of everything I said. That's what you heard." He replies sarcastically.

"Why?" He bluntly questions.

"Why what?"

"Why'd you think I'd just leave?"

"It was just a thought." I lied.

"People don't just have thoughts like that. I'm sorry if you've gotten hurt before, but I would never do that. I've been where you are." His tone is serious and gentle. Pain is showing through his eyes.

"You're not scared to show how you feel, are you?" I ask out of curiosity

"Why should I be? We're all human. We are allowed to feel, even if it's just to feel bad or sad." He takes a sip of his coffee "You know that might be the most logical thing I've heard, ever." I giggle, gulping my coffee.

"We should probably go back. Before someone thinks you're missing." He says, standing up and reaching out his hand to help me stand.

We reach the campsite and a worried Percy rushes over to me. "Where were you? Why didn't you answer my calls? Are you okay?"

Percy is normally the calm one between the two of us. He has been off since last night and it usually doesn't last this long.

"Hi, Percy, nice to see you too," I answer sarcastically.