Chapter 12

It's the first day of the survivor competition and I've been rethinking my life choices for about 30 minutes. Is this going to work... probably not, but I guess there's only one way to find out.

Making our way to the beach. I notice that Percy and I are the first ones there. A few tents are set in a circle and a man with a microphone is setting up a stage. People are sitting around in a small crowd probably waiting for this to begin.

Grayson and a couple more people follow us and lastly, Isabella arrives. The moment she saw Grayson her eyes snapped at me and I knew... today is the day that I die.

She speed walks in my direction and I close my eyes anticipating the slap I'll receive in a moment. "Why is Grayson here?" I open my eyes. Surprised by receiving no slap. I mumble under my breath only causing her to morph her face into confusion.

"I... Percy invited him." I point a finger at Percy who is talking to Grayson only a few feet away.

A voice booms through the speaker "Good morning watchers and joiners of the tag team survivor. Today is the first day of this 5-day challenge and we have 14 people competing and as you know this year it's a couple's addition."

My eyes grow wide and I look over to Grayson who is fuming. I offer him a sheepish grin before turning back.

"You will be camping on the beach with your partner for the next 5 days. Each day someone will be sent out. Resulting in 2 groups being left on the last day fighting for the winning title and a trip for two to The Island Spa for a weekend stay." Everyone started cheering and applauding.

"The teams are the following Grayson and Natalie, Isabella and Percy, Landon and Gina, Valerie and Lukas, Brad and Sara, Daphne and Chad and lastly Hunter and Ashley. You can now go to your tents and we will be starting the challenge once everything is set up. All you have to know is that it's going to get hot in here." The man laughs at his joke and jumps off the stage putting the microphone down.

Grayson and I make our way to our tent and I can just imagine what he's about to say, we walk back in silence the only thing reassuring me that he's still there is the sigh that leaves him as we enter the tent.

"Grayson, I didn't think that's what would happen," I tell him taking a seat on the sand in front of our tent.

"Its fine I knew it was a bad idea. I should just sign out."

"No, you can't. This can still work it's just going to be a little harder." He looks at me with a bored expression. "How?"

I stutter "I... well we could win this and then you take her to the spa and sort things out." He gives me a bland expression. Not believing me.

***

We're all gathered back in front of the small built stage waiting to find out what the first challenge is.

"Are you guys ready?!" the guy shouts from the stage causing us all to cheer.

"For your first challenge and only challenge for today you will have to make a fire from scratch. The first one to make the fire wins and the last team will leave us. Go to one of the designated spots and I'll give you a countdown to start."

We run over to our station and I panic once I only see dried grass and twigs lying around "And begin" His voice booms from the speakers I look at Grayson who already has two sticks in hand rubbing them together. "What are you doing?" I ask grabbing two sticks and mimicking his movements. "I'm making a fire." My hands are burning from rubbing the sticks together.

We divided the grass to see if either of us could get them to burn first. I look around to see the others are still struggling, turning my head back I see smoke coming from Grayson's twigs and I instantly jump up in excitement. "Come on Grayson we can do this." The smoke slowly turns into a small fire on the beach.

"And the winners are Grayson and Natalie." Grayson stood up and I instantly give him a tight hug. Not shortly after we start hearing other groups' names being called.

"And unfortunately the last couple who was able to start the fire was Hunter and Ashley. Sorry guys you won't be staying with us any longer."

Hunter and Ashley make their way off of the beach and the rest of the teams are still standing at the fire stations. "You guys move on to the next round congratulations we will be seeing you all tomorrow. But for now, we will be leaving all of you to meet each other. There is a nice little bonfire celebration taking place tonight for making it through the first round."

The judge moves away from the microphone and everyone turns towards their partners. I look at Grayson who has his eyes set on Isabella and I thought to myself it must be wonderful to have someone think of you like that.

***

The bonfire is lit and everyone has taken a seat around it, music is filling my eardrums and the night air is a cool contrast against the fire. "You love her, don't you?" I ask Grayson his eyes still set on Isabelle who's sitting across from us.

"I don't think I've ever loved anyone as much as her." I smile and in the back of my mind, I'm pouting at his sentimental words.

I stand up dusting off my shorts from the sand and make my way toward Isabella. She has her eyes closed, her head bopping to the music. "Hey," I say a little too loud making her jump. I smile when she looks at me. "Hey."

"Can I talk to you... somewhere private?" I point over to the tents. "Yeah sure." She replies and follows me towards the tent.

"So what do you want to talk about?"

I didn't think this through...

"It's about Grayson..." I start playing with my fingers hoping she will somehow, just know where I was going with this.

News flash... she doesn't.

Her eyebrow raises in confusion "What about him?"

"Hypothetical question... would you ever forgive him for what happened?"

"Depends... why?" She says her voice sharp.

"Well, it's complicated." She lets out a laugh. "Just say it."

"Well the thing is" – I let out a breath – "He's still pretty much in love with you." Her eyes grow wide and she shakes her head. "No, he isn't."

This is a lot harder than I thought. "Yes, yes he is. I see it in his eyes. He regrets what happened so much and he wishes it never happened but it did and he hates himself for it."

"I don't believe it." She takes a step back.

"You don't have to believe me but I would not be making this up. You said it yourself he's a good guy it's his company that makes him bad. Why not give it a shot."

"Look Natalie I care a lot for him too, but not if Winter is there." My heart beats faster. "He cut them out of his life. He moved out of the hotel room he shared with Matthew and is staying in our hotel."

Her eyes widen with shock and cross her arms. "He did that?" I nod a reply. "I'll think about it." She says as a smile grows on her face. My excitement gets the best of me and I jump to give her a big hug "Just trust me, you won't regret it."

We make our way back to the bonfire and part ways. Taking a seat next to Grayson I can't help but have a wide smile on my face.

"What did you do?" He turns to me. "Just wait and see, you might thank me later."

"Why do I have a feeling this is going to end very badly?" He asks a nervous chuckle making its way out "I don't know because I think I did something good for once."

"What did you do?"

"Do you want to dance I think we should go dance?" I laugh and stand up. Everyone around us is moving with the beat and dancing around. "Stop ignoring the question, Natalie."

I act like I didn't hear him and dance with everyone around the bonfire.