Chapter 26

I didn't sleep much last night. My mind kept wandering every time I tried to fall asleep. Instead, I watched movies until I heard the birds chirping outside my window and went into the kitchen to cook breakfast.

"Morning honey, did you sleep well." I turn to face my mom her eyes wide. "Not at all! Will you be okay to come with me to get the things for your party?"

"Sure. I just need to get dressed." I walk back to my room grabbing a pair of jeans, a t-shirt and sneakers. I take a quick shower and get dressed. I walk back into the kitchen finding my mom still in her pyjamas. "Come on mom we have things to do today." She sighs "Fine." I laugh, as she sticks her tongue out at me and walks past.

***

We walk into the bakery to discuss a cake with Mrs Graham. She smiles, happy to help us. "We'll pick it up the day of the party. It's this Saturday."

Four days to go till I lose my best friend. I think to myself.

We walk out of the store down the street. I walk past the hair salon thinking about how I'll have to shave my head in 4 days due to a stupid pact that was made when we were 8 years old. At least he wouldn't have to get rid of his... does this pact even still exist anymore?

My mom goes into a shop and I take the time to give Isabella a call. It rings 3 times before she answers "Hey Isabella, it's me." I hear a laugh from the other side "I know." I slam a palm against my forehead "Right... I just wanted to call and let you know the party is Saturday if you still want to join us." "That's great thanks for letting me know. See you then." I say goodbye. Pushing my phone back into my back pocket. "You ready to leave?" My mom says exiting the store. "Yeah, let's go."

***

We just got back home an hour ago and everyone is back to doing their own thing. Mom is busy in the garden and dad just got back from work. That leaves me sitting on my bed staring at my suitcases hoping they would unpack themselves.

I jump up to open my bags and throw the dirty clothes into the hamper and pack away the rest. At the bottom of the bag lies the Spiderman comic book that I have yet to read. I pick it up, walk over to the table and put the book down. I stare at the cover, wondering what he could find so fascinating about these comics.