Chapter 25

The smell of coffee infiltrates my senses, I stretch before sitting up. Percy is in the kitchen pouring hot water into his cup.

I walk into the kitchen grabbing a cup out of the cupboard "I swear coffee is the only thing that gets you to wake up." I smile "It is. Nothing else is a good enough reason." He shakes his head taking a sip of his coffee. I stand next to him as we drink our coffee in silence. "We have a long drive ahead of us. We should go." I say sipping on my coffee.

I enter the reception and the receptionist greets me with a toothy grin "Good morning." I smile back "Morning, how much do I owe?" She looks at the pricelist "Just fifty dollars." I hand her the money and leave. Percy stood next to the car on the phone. I get into the car waiting for Percy. He gets in slamming the door shut and making me jump "Sorry." He blows out a breath "You okay?" He nods his head.

***

We finally arrive back in town and stop in front of my house. A sigh of relief comes out as I get out of the car. I ring the doorbell waiting for someone to open it. Not long after my mom opens the door. A bright smile covers her face when she sees me "I've missed you so much." She pulls me in for a hug squeezing the air out of my lungs "I missed you too, but you're killing me." She lets me go as I struggle to breathe. I walk over to the car getting my bags as my mom pulls Percy in for a hug. I walk past them and walk into my room dropping everything to the ground.

I turn to leave my room only to find Percy closing the door as he enters. He rubs the back of his neck. This is not a good sign "I need to tell you something." I watch him closely. "I've been trying to tell you for a while now, but it's so hard and I don't want to hurt you." I feel my heart rate quicken "What do you mean?"

He looks away closing his eyes and letting out a breath before he looks at me again "I'm moving... away." My heart shatters. "What?" I don't understand. "Since when have you known?" He looks down at the floor "Since a week before we left for vacation." I feel the tears fall like a waterfall. "And you only told me now!" I half scream at him. I didn't mean to, but my voice feels lost. "I'm sorry. I knew this was going to happen I just didn't want to let you have a bad vacation. Knowing then would've been worse."

"You're leaving. When?" He walks closer to me, I take steps backwards until I sit on my bed making him stop "Next week." I drop my head into my hands sobbing, I feel the headache already forming as my heart breaks piece by piece. "Why..." I pull in a breath only to cough making more tears fall. "Why?" I repeat. He sits next to me pulling me into him. "I'm so sorry. It's for my dad's work. It's not my decision." I grab a hold of his shirt pulling it closer to me. "You can't leave me. You're my best friend I need you."

"Nat it's not my decision." He stands up

"You should've told me sooner!" I spit out.

"I tried."

"You should've tried harder. Who else knows?" He looks away "Percy! Who else knows?" He stays silent. "Percy!" He steps away "Everyone knows! Okay, everyone! They could've told you too." I shake my head looking up at the ceiling as I bite my tongue to not say something I might regret. "You should leave." My voice cracks as I wipe at my eyes in a poor attempt to stop the crying "What" I stand up walk over to my door and turn the handle swinging it open "Leave!" He scoffs "This isn't my fault Nat." He walks out.

A few seconds later I hear the front door open and slam shut. My hand lets go of the door handle as I slide down the wall, holding my head as I cry. My cheeks burn, and my heart is broken.

My breath feels short. It feels like I can't breathe. I sit there for hours watching the sky darken as I sit alone in my room. I slowly get up, turning on the light. I sit on my bed throwing the blanket over me as I turn on my laptop and type in Netflix to watch something to distract me from Percy.

My phone vibrates next to me on the bedside table. I turn to see it's a message from Percy. I put my phone on silent and turn back to the movie. A knock at the door startles me "Come in." I answer. My mom enters the room "Hey... are you okay?" I look at her "No, why didn't you guys tell me?" She looks at me with a frown. "It's not my story to tell honey. He said he'd do it when he was ready and it hurt him so much. It's not his fault I hope you know that."

I look down at my fingers as I fidget with my nails "I know... it doesn't make it any less hard mom."

"I know." She agrees.

"I love him." She smiles at me "I know." She says putting a hand over my own. "He likes you too Natalie. You know that right?" I shake my head "No he doesn't." She laughs "He has liked you since you were 13." She stands up walking over to the door "You don't have to believe me, but it's in his actions just start focusing and you'll see it. I'll leave you tonight, but tomorrow no sulking we have things to do." She says winking at me. I give her a small smile "Okay mom." She shuts the door leaving me with my thoughts.

Could he like me... like actually like me. My mind travels back to the night he stood up for me, how he looked after me when I was sick. Him holding me in his sleep. Oh and that smile. Those damn dimples make my heart melt.