Chapter 2

May 23rd, 2022

Morgana's POV

We had the day off today since we played in Orlando yesterday (we won 4-1, I hasd 2 goals and an assist and Mal had a goal and an assist) and got home from our flights really late.

Well it's noon now, and I slept until 10 and just ate a bagel and fruit from Mal's because I slept there last night. 

We were talking about the game a when my phone started to ring. 

"Sorry Mal. Let me get this." I said, answering the call. "Hello?" 

"Hello. Is this Miss Morgana LaRue?" Asked the voice on the other line. 

"Yes it is." 

It was the attorny that was supposed to help us with our assault case. She said a bunch of attorny stuff I didn't know (even though I took a law class in college for a semester) and I just kept responding with 'okay' 'mhm' and 'yes.' 

"And I would suggest inviting Mrs. Ashley Hatch, Miss Kelley O'Hara, Miss Mallory Pugh, Miss Ashley Sanchez and Miss Sophia Smith as your witnesses." She said. 

"All of them?" I asked. 

"As many as can make it." 

"Alright." 

Then she gave the details of the case and how my parents had handled most of the stuff somehow. I figured I could just ask my parents for the details over text after this call, because I wasn't retaining any information, except that the hearing was on June 13th, and it was in Colorado so I had to fly home. 

After the call, I checked the schedules of our teams and it doesn't conflict with any games, but does Sophia really want to fly all the way out to Colorado for this? 

Mal already agreed to do it, I knew she would. Now was the task of asking the others. It was more of a chore, because we were in 3 different time zones. 

"Just text them all. Set up a time in the next few days because you probably have to say something fast." Mal said. 

"You'right. I should probably ask them seperately." I said, texting Ashley. Then to Mal I said "I'm sorry you have to come do this. All of you guys, really." 

"I'm sorry you have to go through this at all. You still have huge bruises on your arms somehow." 

"I don't care. If it was up to me, I would just skip this trial and let her get out of jail. She was just high. Drugs do crazy things." I walked to the couch and sat down. "But it's not her fault that they influenced her to do that kind of stuff." 

"Morgana. It's her fault for taking the drugs." Mal came and sat down next to me. 

"There's a million things that lead her there. Somewhere along the way, there was something that was accidental." 

"But there's also gotta be something that was on purpose too." 

"But what if there wasn't?" 

Mal took a deep breath. "Listen, Morgana. I completely understand that she was your best friend growing up, and I know you still think you look up to her, and you still love her. You still think she can do no wrong, which unfortunately isn't true. She hurt you, and she hurt you badly. And it has to be addressed and sadly diciplined." 

I completely understood what she was trying to say, but for some reason I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that this was really bad and bla bla bla. 

That's when I cried, for the forst time since I got to Chicago. And I bawled my eyes out, because I realized this was a part of life and something I should have realized sooner. 

"But it's okay to forgive too, right?" I asked eventually after Mal had calmed me down. 

"If that's what makes you happy." She replied.

"Well it is." 

"Then that's good for me too." She kissed the top of my head. 

"I think I can forgive, but I don't think I can forget." 

----------

This season's June international break is from June 19th-June 30th, then NWSL regular season games start up again on July 1st. 

But I'm under midfielder. 

I haven't played midfield in years, but Vlatko said he would talk to me about converting to one, even if it was just for the national team. He said he did it to Sanchez and he thinks he can do it for me too. 

"You're quick, have great foot skills, and defend better than any forwrad I've seen. And you played the full 90 against England, never stopped, and didn't look terribly tired. I think you could be a great attacking midfielder." 

"You really think so?" I asked. 

"I believe in you. And if it doesn't work out, you have no shot at losing your spot after the SheBelieves cup." 

"Really?" 

"No way. You'll be the next big thing. I can't believe I didn't call you up sooner." 

"Well the timing was right. I wouldn't have it any other way." 

"I don't think anyone else would have." 

When I told Mal about that, she told me that he was completely right. 

"It shocke me that you never played before, now that I'm thinking harder about it." She said. 

"I guess." 

"I think you'll do great." 

"Thanks Mal." 

As time went on, it was harder and harder for Mal and I to keep quiet, espceially as we got more and more touchy and very comfortable with eachother. 

It was only a matter of time before Tatumn said something or someone literally just figures it out. And what do we even say when that day comes?