Chapter 26

July 4th 2022 - Gameday 

Morgana's POV

I started in the midfield alongside Rose Lavelle and Lindsey Horan. Up top, Alex Morgan started in the center, Trinity Rodman on the left, and Sophia Smith on the right. The backline had Emily Fox on the left, Naomi Girma and Becky Sauerbrunn in the middle, and Kelley O'Hara on the right. 

Obviously Mal's name isn't in that lineup. Trinity took her spot. 

Mal didn't talk to me much when she got back from the bathroom in the restaurant, and I have no clue what Soph told her, and obviously it wasn't helping Mal be less upset. 

Before the subs walked out of the locker room first, I pulled Mal to the side in the tunnel. 

"What's wrong with you?" I asked. 

"I might not be able to play, Morgana. I don't think you understand. You're Little Miss Perfect. You can't do wrong in the eyes of Vlatko, the eyes of the fans, the eyes of Sophia, Ashley, Kelley....and me. What happened wasn't your fault, it's mine that I made it what it was. I'm just upset with myself. But do I regret standing up for you? No. Not at all." 

"Mal-" 

"I love you, Morgana. You're my girl. I'm not going to let anything happen to you. Ever." She kissed me then, as people walked out into the tunnel. 

"Lucky you didn't do that about 5 feet closer to the field." Said Sonnett as she walked by with Sofia Huerta and Ashley Sanchez. 

"Aw shit." Mal said. 

"This is a public place, what did you expect?" I laughed.  

"We should probably tell the team anyway." She said.

"Come on Mal." Hatch said, tapping her shoulder and giving her a pinny. 

"You're gonna kill it, Morg." She said. 

"But you won't be there!" I said, realizing I haven't taken a kickoff without her in my professional career since.....I think she's been on the field with me for every one.

"You're gonna be okay. I promise. Pinkie swear." Mal walked away, and I heard cheering as she walked onto the slideline. 

"Morgana! Come get in line!" Lindsey yelled to me from deeper in the tunnel. 

I walked in and took my spot ahead of her in the line, taking a deep breath. 

"First major tournament jitters?" Asked Lindsey. 

"Yep." 

"Mal isn't starting with you either." 

"Nope." 

"Does that scare you?" 

"A little." 

"You have the longest scoring streak for club and country right now. You broke Carli Lloyd's record. You'll be fine. Just go out there and do what you do best. Play good soccer." 

"What does the record have to do with anything?" 

"I just had to say it because you're so good." 

"Thanks." 

"Seriously, though. Your eye for the goal is insane. You're going to bring us to this world cup. Not Mal, not ALex, not Soph, not Trinity, YOU." 

----------

In the 22nd minute, I gave Trinity a pass, which brought her up the left side, she put a cross in to Alex, who headed it in. The stands were kind of empty, and I swear I could hear my family cheering. 

In the 37th minute, Soph played a ball, and I tried to run in and connect with it, but I wasn't able to. I'm so off this game. 

But luckily, the ball fell to the feet of Trinity, who put it back in to me, and I controlled it, juked a defender, and put the ball nicely into the back of the net. 

"LET'S GO, MORGANA!" I heard Mal yell from the bench. 

As I ran to Trinity, I heard my family yelling. 

"Good job, kiddo!" My dad yelled. 

"Way to finish, Morgana!" Said my mom. 

"Good goal, Aunt Morg!" I heard Hayley yell super loudly. 

I got all the hugs and pats on the heads, and I looked to the bench, where Hatch gave me a thumbs up and mouthed 'good job.' 

I pulled out of the group quickly, and blew a kiss to Mal, then ran into position. The whole bench yelled, and it was hilarious. 

Halftime we were up 2-0, and Vlatko said one more insurance goal and He'd do all 6 subs. 

I heard him say to some of the other coaches that he wants to rest me as much as possible, and also wants me to not start any fights with the Haiti players and get a red. If I get one, then I have to sit for the next game. 

He wants a quick goal? Sounds good. I got it. 

"Sophia." I said, trying to get her attention as we walked out onto the field again. 

The only sub we had was Ashley Sanchez, who came in for Lindsey. 

"What's up?" 

"Listen. Oh! Rose! Come here." I said, waving her over. 

"What?" Rose asked. 

"Hear me out on this. Rose, the amount of times you've been given time and space with the ball is insane. If they don't fix that, you need to dribble into the space, Sophis you need to check into her, sending your defender at her. Then you pull away, and get open. Rose, you pass to her, Soph, you go to goal. Take on a defender 1v1, cross it, just be whatever will get us that easy insurance goal." I said. 

"Let's try it." Said Rose. 

"I like it." Soph said. 

We all got into position for kickoff after that, and I hoped my plan wasn't completely stupid. 

55  minutes, and no goals or good chances really. 

Then we got what we were looking for. The deadly trio. Rose, the ball, and space. 

"Soph come now!" I yelled, running about 10 feet behind Rose, staying more defensive as Ashley ran up. 

Sophia did her job, sending her defender at Rose, and then Rose slotted her the ball. 

"Make a run Ashley!" I yelled, and she made the perfect run for Sophia. 

Sophia beat her defender, gave Ashley the perfect pass, and Ashley finished off the half volley. 

There was the insurance goal. 

"LET'S GO, ASH!" I yelled, joining the celebration. 

"AUNT ASH JUST SCORED A GOAL!" I heard Hayley yell. 

"Nice idea, Morgana." Rose said, giving me a high five. 

"You guys did that perfectly." I said. 

5 minutes later, Vlatko started the subbing. First Hatch came on for Alex, and then Kristie Mewis came on for Rose. She stepped into the defensive midfield, so I stepped back into offensive with Ashley. 

almost immediately after the subs, I scored off a pass from Hatchy, and then just a few minutes after that the Ashley's connected for a goal. 

Then right after that, I was pulled for Andi Sullivan, Sophia was pulled for Midge Purse, and Trinity was pulled and Mal got to go in. 

"See? You're going in!" I said as I walked by, giving high fives to the subs. 

I grabbed the first pinny I saw and took a seat next to Lindsey who gave me a high five, as well as the other girls. 

"My sister would have loved this game." I sighed as Soph sat next to me. 

"She's proud of you. Just like the rest of your family. And all of your teammates. You're the toughest kid we know."