Chapter 19

No one's POV - TV Broadcast

"Here we are, just minutes away from kickoff of the US Womens National Team vs Colombia. I'm Sebastian Salazar, and with me is Julie Foudy." 

"Tonight we have quite the interesting staring lineup for the USWNT. Starting in goal is Aubrey Kingsbury, getting her second cap for the national team. At left back is Emily Fox, center backs are Naomi Girma and Becky Sauerbrunn, and the right back is Kelley O'Hara. Andi Sullivan playing the defensive midfield position, and for the attacking midfielders we have Ashley Sanchez and the most interesting thing about this lineup. Morgana LaRue as that other attacking midfielder. And up top, on the left is Mallory Pugh, central striker is Alex Morgan, and the right forward, getting her first start and her first cap, Trinity Rodman." Julie said. 

"And Vlatko did say this is subject to change due to LaRue being unsure whether or not she can step on the field tonight after the unexpected passing of her sister earlier today." Sebastian said. 

"Yes. And it's a very hard thing, losing a sibling. But we got to interview Kelley O'Hara before the game, and she did choose to comment on the sitation. She said 'Morgana is the toughest kid ever. She's going to play, because she knows that's what her sister would want her to do. She's going to leave everything out on the field. Everything she has. And I know she will have one of her best games, because that's the way she is.' Kelley also commented on her their off the field friendship, as well as the friendship between Morgana and Mal Pugh." Said Julie. 

"And another interesting thing about Morgana tonight is the fact that she's wearing the #3 instead of herusual 22 for club and country, and even her college team. She even has a 22 tattooed on her hand." 

"I think it has to do with the loss of her sister." Sebastian said. 

"I think you're probably right. She also has a piece of tape on her wrist like a bracelet. Hopefully we can figure out if we're right." 

"I have so much respect for her as a player and a person. The way she's played through so much is just something to admire. And if her coming out to play tonight is the best thing for her, it really shows you something about her strength and resiliance. Loss is hard." 

Julie said: "And she announced the loss of her sister over instagram today. The post reads..." 

----------

Morgana's POV, earlier today, June 25th, 2:00pm

I took to Instagram. I'm not entirely sure why, but I felt the ned to make a post about my sister. 

'I didn't think I'd ever have to be here saying this. But here I am. Today, I lost one of my 2 older sisters. Sure our relationship was rocky near the end, but it doen't mean I'm just going to accept that this is happening. Growing up, Lena was everything I wanted to be. She was everything to me. My inspiration, my idol, the best soccer player I've ever seen, and the nicest big sister ever. She let me tag along in whatever she did. She treated me like a friend and not the annoying little kid I was. Lena was the person you could go to for anything. If you needed her to listen, she would. If you needed her to talk, she would. She is the whole reason I'm where I am in my soccer career today. And obviously she was troubled by the end of her very, very short 23 years. And when I say that drugs make you do crazy things I'm not trying to justify what she did, but lots of people have this false image of her in their heads. So make sure you go give your sister (or brother) a hug, because you never know when it will be your last. And if you can't get to them, make sure you send them a text. Or even give a call. Because you never know how much you really need a sibling until they're gone. So fly high, Lena, and make sure you give heaven some hell. I love you, Lena. Until we meet again.' 

The amount of tears that I cried writing that alone was enough to fill a river. Before hitting post, I handed my phone to Mal to let her read it. After she was finished, she handed the phone back to me without a word, and she was crying. 

"Do you need anything?" She asked me after a while of us sitting in silence. 

"I just kind of want everyone around. I just want to feel better." I replied, clicking post on the Instagram post finally. 

"I can ask everyone to come." 

"I look like crap though." 

"Who cares?" 

"I do." 

"Why?" Mal asked. 

"I don't know." I said. "I just want everyone aound because I want Ashley and Kelley to make me laugh, and Trinity and Soph know how to make me smile. And Hatchy...." 

"What about her?" 

"Something about her just reminds me of Lena.  So honestly, I don't know if seeing her would hurt more or make me feel better." I sighed. 

"Makes sense." 

I could see in her eyes that there was something she didn't understand, but maybe she would see eventually. I couldn't explain why, but something about Hatch always just reminded me of my sister, in the best ways. 

A few minutes later, as if she heard me asking, Hatch showed up to the door of my room with Aubrey Kingsbury. 

When they walked in, I gave Aubrey a hug, and then I just hugged Hatch for a long time. It certainly did make me feel better. I broke down once again, just crying into her shoulder. 

I feel bad, because I think I put her in a sad situation, but I just couldn't let go. And plus she's the one that showed up to the room of sadness. 

After I told them my ultimate decision to play tonigt, I thanked both of them a million times for coming. Then I let them go on to do their pregame stuff, and I focused really hard on getting my head in the game if I was even thinking about playing. 

I also called Vlatko and asked him if it was possible to get a number switch, just for this game. I wanted to wear #3 for Lena, because it was her number in high school and when she was a kid. 

And before the game, I went to the athletic trainer and got a piece of tape to put as a wristband, and I took a marker and write 'LL3' on it, for Lena LaRue 3. 

-----------

Admittedly I cried writing this chapter but here it is. Sorry it's so sad but it's part of the story :( But I hope you all enjoyed and another update coming soon!