Chapter 46

Morgana's POV

Our defense held them off so well, and I put on the pressure with the offence. 

In the 80th minute, KC found the back of the net somehow. They got lucky that one of our defenders lost her mark. 

I wasn't about to go into overtime here, so I pulled Mal to the side and gave her a plan as the crowd was roaring for the other team's goal.

It took 7 minutes to get into the right spot for the play. 

Mal got the ball, I ran behind her, she faked passing the ball to me, and then I cut centrally as she took the defender 1v1 to the bottom corner of the box. 

I watched as she got by the defender, got to the middle and took a shot to the low corner,  and I got ready to celebrate. 

Somehow the goalie extended and got to it. 

But barely, because she just hit it out, right to my feet. 

I shot it with my left foot, but there was a defender that made a goal line save. 

It went over my head, but Danny Colaprico was behind me. I ducked so she could head the ball, and when she did, IT HIT THE POST. 

I got up quickly, and tracked the ball down, but Mal was all over it. 

She had a bad angle, but she shot it anyway. 

I ran back post, because that where it was going. 

Morgan Gautrat came in and tried to finish, but the defender shoved her. 

Then I was next. 

It had brushed someone and changed direction, so I took a step off the back post, but it was too much, so I ended up just going for it. 

I dove onto the ground, hitting the ball with my head, right into the back of the net. 

I did it. 

No way I just did that. 

The adrenaline was rushing so much that I didn't even feel the pain in my head. Or maybe it wasn't there. But it didn't matter, because I got up and did the thing Sam Kerr always does with the cartwheel and the back flip. It was insane. I didn't even know I could do that. Then my teammates ran over and tackled me to the ground. 

The crowd was so loud, the roaring made me feel so good. I felt like a hero, and nothing felt better than that. 

The game ended about a minute and a half after it resumed, and I watched as the whole team flooded the field. 

But I saw Mal smiling at me from 5 feet away, and that's what mattered most. 

I walked to her, lifted her chin with my hand, and gave her a quick kiss. 

Then a crowd of teammates surrounded us. 

"Mal you're a lucky bitch!" Someone said, and everyone laughed. 

I was sobbing uncontrollably. I dreamed of this. I've always wanted this. And it feels so good. 

A section of the crowd was cheering my name, and I turned to wave to them once the huddle disbanded. 

After a little while, they pulled the stage onto the field and we got ready to lift the trophy. 

But the first thing they did before getting our medals was name me finals MVP. 

I wanted to cry when they handed me the trophy, but I didn't. I just smiled. 

I looked for my family in the stands. 

My mom, my dad, my sister, my niece, my brother-in-law, and even my grandma made it. She hasn't traveled in years. But here she is. 

She's the one that got me into soccer, so this is all for her. 

But there was one person missing. 

She couldn't make it. She won't ever be able to. And that sucks. But I know she's proud of me, looking down on me. 

And to my right, I could see the one who was most important. My love, my best friend, my world, and my cure.  

----------

Two more chapters pf this! I decided to write about the World Cup in a separate story starting with the upcoming April friendlies, so I'm working on that and it will be out after those games! Anyways I'm super happy about Julie being back so I will write her in there too! Hope you all enjoyed :)