Chapter 29

July 7th, 2022

Gameday - TV Broadcast

"Could Morgana LaRue be the best soccer player this generation's ever seen?" Said Sebastian Salazar in the pregame show. 

"I really think she could be." Said Julie Foudy. "She hasn't had a single bad game for club or country in the last 3 months. Since April, she's been the most consistent player the USWNT has. Morgana is something special. And are her connections with her teammates." 

"Well Julie that all ties into being a great player. But her connection with her fellow Chicago Red Star Mallory Pugh is really something else. They have so much on field chemistry." 

"They are shaping up to be one of, if not the best, women's soccer duos the world's ever seen. Do you agree?" 

"Absolutely. For sure. I have literally no doubts about that." 

"Now we go down to the sideline and have a chat with Head Coach Vlatko Andonofski." 

The screen changed to a shot down by the sideline, where there was Vlatko and a reporter. 

"Vlatko, what are you looking for in tonight's game vs Jamaica?" Asked the reporter. 

"Not only and I looking for a win, but I'm looking to build the team's chemistry, and I want the starting 11 tonight to get used to playing together, because in big competitions, there won't be much rotation. The starters for tonight are the primary starters. Of course rotation is going to be needed, but these are the ones." He replied. 

"You started Morgana LaRue in the midfield last game, and it appears she is starting at forward tonight. Does that have anything to do with Sophia Smith's concussion??" 

"In some ways, but also I feel that Morgana isn't completely ready to play midfield yet. She'll get there, but it will take more time than what we had." 

"Well good luck today, coach." 

"Thank you." 

----------

Morgana's POV

I stepped on the field, and took a deep breath. 

I was ready to play Jamaica, and I was planning on being here for a while so we could make it to the championship game. 

But was I really ready? 

My family's words swam around in my head. 

"She left everything to you. I had no idea she even had this will. She was only 21!" My mom said.

"You have to clean out her apartment."  Said my dad.

"DO I have to?" I asked. 

"Yes. Legally, yes." 

"I don't think I can mentally handle that." 

"I think you'll be okay. I can help, if you need." Mal said. 

"I haven't even seen the will. I just got a call from the lawyer because your number didn't work." My mom said. "He just said 'most of this is left to your youngest daughter, with a few other people scattered in here. But it's all up to her.' That's why it's all on you, Morgie." 

That last line echoed in my mind over and over again, haunting me since yesterday. 

I cried so much last night I think I'm dehydrated. Mal cried with me, claiming that when I cried, she cried too. 

I had to tell myself that this was all routine, nothing's changed, but  I couldn't unhear those words. 

"It's all up to you, Morgie." 

A nickname my mom hadn't used since I was 12 years old. One that Lena used constantly. She almost never called me Morgana. It was always Morgie. 

"It's all up to you, Morgie." 

I felt as of the weight of the world was on my shoulders, even though I knew it wasn't. My team is perfectly capable of playing without me if I were to just collapse right now, right? '

But I couldn't leave them like that, because I have a commitment. It's all on me. 

A little part of me really felt like I was going to throw up, another part of me couldn't wait to step on the field, another part of me just wanted to be with Mal, safe and not thinking about anything, not worrying about the stresses of the world. And the last part of me....was definitely going to throw up. 

----------

Mal's POV

"Morgana? Where are you...Morg? Morgana?" I called after her as she ran off the field away from warm ups and back into the locker room. "Rose, I'll be right back. I'm sorry." I chased after her.  "Morgana? Hey. Where'd you go?" 

I found her in the bathrooms of the locker room, throwing up. 

"Babe are you okay?" I asked, walking into her stall and sitting next to her. 

"No." 

"Did you get food poisoning too?" I asked, referring to my vomit fest the other night that made me lose 10 pounds at least. 

"I don't know." 

"What's wrong then?" 

"It's....it's.....it's all on me." She sobbed. 

"What?" 

"Everything. Anything and everything. I just....can't do it." 

"Morgana, what are you talking about?" I asked. "Not everything is on you!" 

"Yes it is!" She fell into me, sobbing into my shoulder. 

"I don't know what you're talking about." I said. "Like I have no idea." 

"I can't-" 

"Morgana. Just calm down. You need to calm down, and tell me what's wrong." 

It took her about 30 seconds to calm down, and then she told me how hard it was going to be to go through Lena's stuff and whatever. 

"I told you I'd help you." 

"I really want you to." She said. 

"Well I really want to. I don't want this to give you stress. I love you and I can't stand to see you like this. So I will literally do anything to help you. That's what a good girlfriend does, right>" 

"It is." 

"Good. Then I'll do it." 

She laughed, which was very nice to hear. 

"I love you. She whispered.