Chapter 47

Morgana's POV

As the days go by, we prepared more and more for the 2023 Women's World Cup. 

I also got ready for the next NWSL season. 

I have a lot to live up to now. 

I ended up winning finals MVP, but also league MVP and rookie of the year, and I was named to the NWSL first team along with Mal. 

I finished second in Ballon D'or voting in November before going to play two friendlies against Germany on home soil. I scored once in both games, Mal three times, two of those assisted by me. We won 3-1 and 3-2. 

On New Year's Eve, I looked back on everything 2022 gave me. It gave me so much more than I could have ever asked for. 

It started with that phone call back in April. And everything in my career went uphill from there. 

This year, I went from a college soccer player to being named FIFA player of the year. I went from being a random kid called up to the USWNT to the MVP. I went from signing a random contract with the Red Stars because my friend wanted it to happen to bring an NWSL champion. 

And Mal went from my worst enemy to the best friend I could ever ask for. We became attached, and turns out she was my cure. 

The way everything worked out for me was perfect, absolutely perfect. 

I wouldn't ask for it any other way. 

That's a lie, actually. 

If I could bring Lena back, I would in a heartbeat. 

But the rest of it?

It's perfect. 

I have the best teammates, the best fake sister, the best friends, the best family, and the best girl in the world. 

----------

The clock read 2:30am when I finally shut my book for the last time. 

I wrote my journey down in a journal, every step of it.

Maybe I'd edit it and publish it in the future, including everything else I add in the next coming years. 

It's 2023 now, so it's time for the next part of my story. 

Mal looked at me and smiled. 

"Did you finally finish that stupid book?" She asked, resting her head in her hand off her pillow. 

"I did." I smiled proudly. "But it's not stupid. You'll see. One day it'll be important." 

She nodded and then laid back down. 

I put the book on my nightstand and cuddled up next to her. 

"I can't want to start the next one." I said. 

"I can't wait to buy you the next journal." She laughed. 

"Well if it's anything like last year's, I'm going to need a lot more than just 1 journal." 

"I know I promised not to ask you what you wrote, but I was just wondering....did you ever write about your gold heart tattoo?" 

"Of course." I said. "Why that specifically?" 

"I was just hoping maybe I could get a matching one...." She twirled her hair a little bit as she asked. "But if you don't want to-" 

"I would love that, actually." I said. "A lot." 

"You know what I love a lot?" 

"What do you love a lot, Mal?" 

"I love you a lot." 

"Right back at you." I laughed, knowing she hated when I said that. 

"Morgana, say it." 

"Say what?" 

"I love you." 

"I love you too." 

----------

Hope you all enjoyed! Sorry to put a bummer on this chapter, but everyone keep Mal in  your thoughts as we hear about the extent of her injury. Hopefully she'll be back in enough time for the World Cup. But I'm just worried about her in general. I hope she's okay. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers y'all :)

By the waym this was the last chapter of this story! I hope you all enjoyed it and the sequel to this will be published son! Thanks for sticking it out and I love you all so much :)