Chapter 8

June 15th, 2022

Ashley's POV

Hatch, Kelley and I all got off the plane at about 1:00am, and Trinity was there to pick us up after we got our bags and stuff. 

I was completely exhausted after coloring, golfing, and travelling. 

"It won't let me open my stupid messages!"I said to Hatch right after we got off the plane. 

"Airplane mode." She said. 

"Right." 

Hatch patted my arm a bit, but when I opened my messages, I got one that scared the shit out of me. 

"AHH!" I screamed. "What the (insert curse word of choice here)" 

"Calm down, Ashley." Kelley said. 

"No! No! No!" I said, tears in my eyes. 

"What's wrong?" Hatch asked me as we stopped walking. 

I couldn't form a sentence. 

"You're just overtired. It's been a long few days." She put her arm around my shoulder. 

"NO! Morgana got in a car crash on the way home from the airport!" I finally said. 

"What?" They both looked right at me. 

"Why did this appen?" I sobbed. 

"Let me see." Kelley checked her phone with the same message. Hatch stood there trying to calm me down. 

"Look, Ashley. She's gonna be okay. She didn't even black out." Kelley said. "She claims the 'worst part was standing out in the rain for so damn long.' Mal says she's completely fine and home." 

"Oh thank god." I said, still shaking. "I hate toe words car crash." 

"That poor girl can't just catch a stupid break." Hatch said, sighing heavily. "The worst things happen to the best people." 

"Let's get going before Trinity falls asleep in the car and one of us has to drive home." Kel walked infront of us to the baggage claim. 

I still was shaking, probably because I want to cry, and maybe because I was really really tired too. 

----------

 Sophia's POV

I got off the plane around midnight, and I ran straight to baggage claim because my Thorns teammate Morgan Weaver claimed she wouldn't wait past 12:30 for me because she needs her beauty rest. 

I was sprinting through the airport, (thank gosh I'm a soccer player) and once I was outside the air was so damp and muggy. 

I spotted her car, and there was a slight drizzle as I went to it. 

She faked sleeping when I opened the passenger foor, and I hit the back of her head playfully before putting my suitcase in the trunk. 

"Hey." She said. 

"Hi." I said. 

"How was Colorado?" She asked. 

"It was pretty sad actually." 

"Like a bad trip?" 

"No, we went to TopGolf id you saw my story. But it was just very emotional. Weaver, I don't think I've ever seen someone so emotionally distraught as Morgana was." I sighed. 

"Well you're home now. It's not your responsibility to keep her happy." Weaver said. 

"But I still wish I could be there for her." 

"Just check on her a few times a day without really asking if you know what I mean." 

"Good idea. Can I use your charger? My phone and portable charger died on the dumb plane." I sighed. 

"That's why you didn't answer my million messages." She said, handing me my charger and finaly pulling out of the airport. 

I saw a text from Mal, and I said, "Hah. Mal misses me already. I thought Morgana or Ashley would be the fiorst to text me, but I'm wrng." 

I opened the message, and gasped really loudly, scaring the shit out of Weaver. 

"Soph! Don't do that!"She said. 

"Sorry! Morgana got in a car crash!!" I yelled. 

"What??" 

"Mal says she's okay but she still went to the hospital and her mom's car got ruined. She didn't black out, no concussion, nothing but a few bruises...that's still scary! I want to go back." I said. 

We had pulled off the road so we could stop to talk, and probably because Morgan Weaver got scared I would scream again. 

"Sounds like she'll be okay. Send her a text, and ask Mal how she is." She told me. 

"You're really playing life coach today." I said. 

"I mean technically I'm not qualified but I can pretend to be." 

"How does one even get qualified for that?" I asked. 

"No idea." Morgan Weaver started driving again, and I put my head against the window, falling asleep in no time. 

----------

I woke up to the lights of the car coming on and the sounds of the door closing and some beeping. I stretched and finally remembered where I was. I was in Morgan Weaver's car, outside of my apartment building. 

She opened the trunk to get my suitcase as I unbuckled, got out, and stretched. 

"You wanna come inside?" I asked before checking the time on my phone. "Well I guess-" 

"Eh why not?" She said, and followed me inside and we went to my apartment. 

"I need to check up on Morgana." I said, putting down my stuff on my kitchen counter and taking out my phone. 

"You definitely should." Morgan Weaver walked over to my refrigerator and just looked around. "You have nothing in here." 

"Well I didn't wanna leave anything in there because I was gone for a few days." 

"Well what did you have?" 

"I had some fruit. That's all." I said. "But I gave it to Becky." 

"Oh." She opened my freezer and took out a tub of ice cream, then looked around for the spoons. 

I stared at my phone, waiting for Mal to reply. 

Here's how the conversation went: 

9:00pm - iMessage Group - You, Mallory, Ashley, Kelley, Ash
Mallory Pugh: Hey all. Morgana got in a car crash on her way home from the airport. Everything is okay, no she's getting released from the hospital in a few minutes. The car is pretty damaged though. I will send a pic. 
Mallory Pugh: *Attachment: one image* 

12:00pm
Me: Oh my god!! Is she okay? 
Mallory Pugh: Yes she's okay, she's sleeping now. 
Me: Poor girl can't catch a break
Mallory Pugh: I know. 
Me: Give her a hug for me when she wakes up. 
Malory Pugh: Of course Soph. Get some rest because you have practice tomorrow. 
Me: Right. Night Mal. 
Mallory Pugh: Night Soph. 

I looked over at Weaver, who was sitting on my couch eating ice cream. 

"Can I have some?" I asked, her, sighing. 

"It's your ice cream." 

I grabbed a spoon and sat down next to her. 

We just sat in silence eating ice cream. No TV on, no talking, just eating a tub of ice cream. 

Pretty much sums up all of our lives right now.