Chapter 40

Mal's POV

At first, I was so angry. 

I almost ran over to her and decked her, put her on the ground the same way Morgana was. 

But Morgana was between us, looking like she was dead. I heard Kelley yell at me to not do anything stupid, and so I checked on Morgana instead. 

When she moved her arm, I got down next to her, putting my face level with hers on the ground. She turned to look at me. 

Her eyes weren't their bright, blazing blue. They were grey and sad. They opened and closed a lot, which worried me. 

She tried to hold eye contact with me, and I tried to keep her from passing out. 

"What hurts Morg." I asked. 

"Head." She whispered. 

"What else?" I saw the trainers coming, but I didn't want to leave in fear of doing something stupid. 

"Hip." She whispered. 

"Anything else?" 

"My foot." She tried to push herself up, but Trinity pushed her back down. 

"Trainers are here." She said. 

"You're gonna be okay." I told her. 

"I'm fine." Morgana pushed herself onto her forearms, and I saw the happiness in those eyes start to come back. 

She smiled her beautiful, charming smile and I couldn't help but do the same. She looked at me before a trainer stepped between us. 

Becky Sauerbrunn was taking it up with the ref, arguing for a well deserved red. 

Trinity helped me up, and we went to the bench to get water. 

As we ran by the girl, I gave her a petty little shove with my shoulder, and she took her hands and shoved me back but hard. 

"You really want to start?" I asked. 

"Mallory." Trinity grabbed my arm and yanked me in the direction of the bench, but I shrugged her off. 

"Don't do that." I said. In my head, the slide tackle played over and over again in my head. I was infuriated as I saw the girl stepping on my girl for no reason. 

"Like you're going to do anything to me." She scoffed. 

"She'll fuck you up. Let's move, Mal." Trinity yanked on me again, this time with more force. 

The girl went to shove me again, but I stepped back. I put my hands up, and Trinity pulled on the back of my shirt. 

Kelley came running over, stepping between me and the girl. 

"Calm down, you two." She said. 

"And I listen to you because...." The girl said. 

"I'm looking out for both of you." Replied Kelley. More yanks on my jersey from Trinity. 

I realized this was going to get messy. 

I had never ever seen a fight in girls soccer until this year. And I quickly realized how they all involved me on the intentional level, and Morgana for club and country. It wasn't like she had a bad attitude, she was just so good that it got to the other players. 

"You know there's other ways to stop a player other than dangerous slide tackles." I said. I paused, and before she could say anything clever, I said: "Oh wait. There's not. Because Morgana's just too good for you. She absolutely embarrassed you about 3 times before so you let it get to you and you potentially just ended the best player in soccer's rookie season."